Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Milling Question

Original article here if you have a membership:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...stay-flat.aspx

Although I have no idea about this, and, I am a bit skeptical, there seem to be many things that work that I had not expected. As examples, banging on saws with hammers to relieve internal stress and freezing metal (tools, gun barrels, etc). I believe that they statement was that he dropped large pieces, not sure if it makes a difference. I would like to see more on this before I would be inclined to try it. At least he does it up front so that any damage done to the wood is milled out.

Just because one person does it and believes it to be so does not make it so, and just because I don't believe it does not make it false. I watched a wood working show on TV where they were advocating dowsing. I believe that dowsing has never shown any results better than chance based on any study (I am only aware of two studies), but I know people that believe it to work, even one person in particular who has had more failures with it than success.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    This is so silly. When I pull out my stock for a project, I line it up and tell it I'm about to cut it all up into little pieces.

Whatever it's holding in, it quickly loses, and I'm off to a happy project experience.
    When I have a particularly tough piece of wood, I send it to a shrink first! It never helps, but at least the wood feels better about itself.

I occasionally drop a large piece of lumber on the floor to remove internal stresses - mine.

Works wonders.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

Probably shouldn't respond.......oh well,colour me stupid.

You are no better than your base product.You can bang it on the floor......bang it on whatever you want....it will never improve the grain structure God gave it.

We grind bow laminations into the "tenths"....and then consequently,"know" what to do with them,once machined.Best of luck,BW

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    ...I watched a wood working show on TV where they were advocating dowsing. I believe that dowsing has never shown any results better than chance based on any study (I am only aware of two studies), but I know people that believe it to work, even one person in particular who has had more failures with it than success.
    Dowsing? New one on me.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.