Thread: Shop Cabinets

Shop Cabinets

Been busy for some time. With work and other interests (gardening and muscle cars is the summer) this took me about 5 yrs to complete. All oak and oak ply with a birch ply counter top with oak edging. It is great to have stuff put away and organized.

P1020811.jpgP1020814.jpgP1020812.jpgP1020813.jpg

All the lower and the tall end cabinet have roll out trays. The tall cabinet has three roll out trays and two fixed shelves. This was a learning experience. Never made raised panel doors before. All the exposed ends of cabinets have raised panel ends. All red oak with MinWax natural stain and MinWax semi gloss poly.

George

Really nice... Looks better than my kitchen lol.
    Last edited by Martin Jodoin; 02-03-2014 at 2:36 PM.

George, normally I am not a big fan of red oak, but I think these really look nicely done . . . . and what's not to love with additional horizontal surface areas.

Interesting treatment of the toekick and the kneewell junction. On my master vanity I also did raised panels inside the kneewell (because it just looks more "finished" to me) but I wrapped the toekick recess around the corner and died into the wall. I will be curious to see it truly becomes a toekicker or stubber (is that a word?).

I assume the hanging uppers are French cleated? Again, nicely done. Patrick

Uppers are just screwed into the furring strips. I originally planned on french cleats but put the nailers to high with the suspended ceiling. The suspended ceiling was an after thought kind of pushed my the LOML.

George

George - those are gorgeous!

I agree - those are kitchen cabinets!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks for all the kind words.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Been busy for some time. With work and other interests (gardening and muscle cars is the summer) this took me about 5 yrs to complete. All oak and oak ply with a birch ply counter top with oak edging. It is great to have stuff put away and organized.

All the lower and the tall end cabinet have roll out trays. The tall cabinet has three roll out trays and two fixed shelves. This was a learning experience. Never made raised panel doors before. All the exposed ends of cabinets have raised panel ends. All red oak with MinWax natural stain and MinWax semi gloss poly.

George
    Pretty amazing shop cabinets for sure. Beyond shop cabinets the only things that caught my eye was wondering if you were planning a return on the kick at the RP gables. Its a nit pick for shop cabs for sure. And if it were kitchen cabs increasing the rail width on the cab that lands on the top to keep the face frame reveal. But man.. those are a serious set of shop cabinets.

Im not tidy enough for that in my shop.

Nice work.

I did not have a kick panel planned for the ends of the cabinets. I did the wider bottom rail because I thought it was appropriate. I did not have the baseboard planned either but needed it to finish off the toe kicks because the floor was not flat and I did not allow for a scribe panel.

George

George, a definite demonstration of skill ! Beautiful cabinets.

Beautiful cabinets, George! They remind me of some a college professor built for his shop where he mounted an additional drawer in the toe kicks for rarely used supplies. You had to bend way over and they didn't have pulls but he said they did double-duty as a place to put valuables when he was on vacation, since they didn't appear to open.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

George.....is that a shop or a cabinet showroom? Very nice! My wife wants me to build some cabinets of that quality for our kitchen!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....