Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Dado Stack Recommedations

Large Dado Stack Recommedations

Guys:

I've traded out my Unisaw for an Qliver 88-DX. The Oliver came with enough 16" Woodworker II to justify my auction price, but I'm looking for a 12" stack dado set with 1" arbor. I know of Forrest but am having trouble finding anyone else that has a bigger set. Thanks for your time.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    Guys:

I've traded out my Unisaw for an Qliver 88-DX. The Oliver came with enough 16" Woodworker II to justify my auction price, but I'm looking for a 12" stack dado set with 1" arbor. I know of Forrest but am having trouble finding anyone else that has a bigger set. Thanks for your time.

George
    Forgive my ignorance, but does the arbor not raise high enough to use an 8" or 10" stack?
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I don't think so. Published depth of cut with a 16" blade is 3-1/2", so a 10" would be 1/2". Not enough. The "D" in "DX mean Direct drive motor...the beauty is the smoothness, the downside is you lose some capacity. It can take an 18" blade if needed.

WP_20131128_005 small.jpg

Freud and Amana have 12" stacks with 1"

I figured they did but couldn't find any...at least not at retailers. But now I get a hit at Amazon for Freud...guess the key is to spell out "inch"

Carbide processors has a couple of different ones as well: http://www.carbideprocessors.com/saw...ts-and-blades/

That's a heck of a saw.

If youve got the HP why not say screw the dado all together and just stack thick and think kerf blades with shims... HAH.. Im drooling over that extension. Man.. what a beast.

Woodworkers Tool Works in Wisconsin can make anything you need.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Woodworkers Tool Works in Wisconsin can make anything you need.
    They show only a 10" stack, and it's over $400. I'll call and see what they'll do, I know they give hobbyists a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    If youve got the HP why not say screw the dado all together and just stack thick and think kerf blades with shims... HAH.. Im drooling over that extension. Man.. what a beast.
    I won it at auction for $1,000. Came with 5 - 16" WWII's and some other 12" and 16" blades. It will cross cut 48". 3,000 pounds. Awesome saw.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bregar View Post
    I won it at auction for $1,000. Came with 5 - 16" WWII's and some other 12" and 16" blades. It will cross cut 48". 3,000 pounds. Awesome saw.
    Super nice score. Gosh.. really nice. The blades alone..

George. I've been looking too for the Whitney. In six months I've seen just a few over 10" and all need to be rebored which isn't the end of the world. Ridge and Systematic used to make larger ones and I think FS tool. There were two 14" sets in Wausau last summer but I didn't pull the trigger quick enough. Dave

FS Tool is the place for large dado stacks. You can order as many chipers as you like too. I have 2 14" stacks from them 2" wide and a 16" stack for the 18" Wadkin PK slider. if the 88DX has a good power plant than no use going small on the stack as the price is the same. Now i am not sure but i thought there was a problem with the blade flask not closing on the 88 with a dado but that could be the 260 i am thinking of. you may what to check that?

any way just for fun here is the 8" stack next to the 16" stack for the Wadkin slider.

jack
    English machines

Jack, do you prefer the two tooth chippers to four or is that just what they make? The outside blades have lots of teeth. Any tearout? Dave