Thread: paraplegia and Spina Bifida

paraplegia and Spina Bifida

Don't know if there is anyone on the forum that is in the medical field , but could use some info on Spinal Bifida and Paraplegia .

My question is this:

If someone was born with Spinal Bifida and they have no feeling below their ankles and cannot move their feet or their toes , and use crutches and leg braces to get around, (Without the crutches, they would be stuck in a Wheelchair.) does that classify them as a Paraplegic ?

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Don't know if there is anyone on the forum that is in the medical field , but could use some info on Spinal Bifida and Paraplegia .

My question is this:

If someone was born with Spinal Bifida and they have no feeling below their ankles and cannot move their feet or their toes , and use crutches and leg braces to get around, (Without the crutches, they would be stuck in a Wheelchair.) does that classify them as a Paraplegic ?
    I am not a medical or legal professional. Not knowing the answer, much less what Spinal Bifida is, I Googled Paraplegic.
    From this definition:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraplegia
    it sounds like it may be.

If the purpose of the question if more than curiosity or a basic understanding, for example a medical or legal classification or relating to insurance or benefits, Wikipedia may not suffice as a determining factor one way or the other. I think it may take the professional opinion of a M.D.

Blog Entries
    I'm not a doctor, but...

From a medical standpoint, I believe paraplegia is defined as loss of mobility in the legs (at a minimum, but also includes their pelvic area and trunk). From that viewpoint, someone who still has control of and feeling in their legs and torso is not defined as a paraplegic.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5