Thread: Triton Routers - Another thread

Triton Routers - Another thread

You can search the internet to the end and back, and still be confused. I've read good things on this forum about the routers. So, looking at buying one would like to know any NEGATIVE comments. I would use it as a dedicated under table router.

Oh, one thing that I have not read is it's ability to hold the height it is set at on the table.

Thanks for any replies.

Blog Entries
    Dad has run the 2-1/4HP one for years. There is a knob to lock the height. Your satisfaction with the cut when not locking the height will be directly proportional to your requirement ;-) The only other bothersome design of the router is the power switch. Let me see if I can get this straight; it has to be in the off position in order to raise and lock the collet for bit changes, you have to slide a spring loaded cover over and turn it on manually. This is only if you raise the collet up to lock and change bits, not during any other function. I would bypass this switch and use an external one but, dad has just made do. This is the only negative I can even remotely think of about the router. The supplied dust shroud has let dad hook a small vac directly to the router and he has never enclosed his table!?! Not a lift by any means but, bad deal at all.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Mark

I have used a Triton 2.25hp router on my table for two years. There is a push lock which you can reach under the table to lock the collect if you need to. I use and a bent wrench most of the time. I leave the switch in the on positioon and use an external switch to turn it on. Some have disabled the interlock but I have never needed to. If it is something you would want to do you can find a web site here which shows how it was done.

http://www.thewoodnerd.com/tips/tritonInterlock.html

However, be aware that some safety systems are disabled when you do this and you probably would never be able to sell the router modified like this with out be liable for any injuries suffered by the person you sold it to. This is one of the reasons I have not done the mod but have never felt the need to. It is a great router for mounting under a table and has a very good system to raise and lower it from above the table. Once in position it has a lock lever and does not move.

Blog Entries
    +1 to the statements posted above. The position lock is fine; I don't quite understand how you would by-pass the switch but then I haven't wanted to. I use a safety switch to start the router with a paddle handle for quick off. As far as turning the router switch on and off to change bits, it isn't that big a hassle - I don't make a lot of bit changes but I guess if you were changing several times in an afternoon it might get tiresome. The only negative comment I have read is addressed by mounting the router in a table - it is way too heavy to use in portable mode.

For me as a hobbyist, it meets the need of an above the table adjustment and easy bit change in a quality router at a reasonable price (especially when you combine the cost of a quality router and a lift.).

This router has worked well for me. The only real inconvenience would be if you had the body enclosed in a dust collection box, the spindle lock will be inaccessible. I've read complaints about the cover on the power switch, but have found it to be a useful safety feature and not inconvenient.

I have the 2.5HP one too, and I really love it. It's the first serious router I have. Yes the height will randomly adjust if you DO NOT use the height lock... it's the nature of the beast because as you are cutting the machine's vibration sometimes moves the micro adjustment. The height lock prevents that. It's not that hard to engage that, I mean just flick a lever.

One secret to the Triton router is that it includes a turning rod. This engages a mechanism under the router (facing up when mounted in a table) that allows you to easily raise/lower the router bit. This feature will save you from having to get a router lift.

I've used my Triton in my router table for years. I have only two minor issues with the machine.

1. Noise - it is the only machine in my shop that is so loud that I always wear ear protection.

2. The off/on switch requires sliding a shroud over to turn the machine on.

These are minor issues about an otherwise fine machine

I had the big one for a while. Lived in my table saw extension. I sold it when I sold the table saw. It's a solid router for a router table. I used it once by hand. Very top heavy....I wouldn't want to use it by hand every day. I would stick it in a router table any day of the week, though.

I doubt you'll find many negative comments except about the switch interlock. It's really not a big deal but some people online make it seems like the end of the world. You can defeat it if you want to, but don't complain when you forget and either burn out the motor or destroy the spindle locking mechanism. BTW, this little inconvenience is more than outweighed by the nifty way you can quickly move the router up and down by twisting the handle. You'd have to be crazy to sit there and turn a crank when you can just reach under the table, twist and you're all the way up. While you're there, flip it off. In practice, I ended up not using the above table adjustment. Between the quick setting with the handle, and fine tuning with the other little knob right on the router, I found that I could very easily and accurately set the router entirely from beneath the table with everything at eye level. I only used the above table handle when I was making multiple passes and wanted to raise a bit on each pass.

edit: not sure if the small Triton has the quick lift turny knob feature
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-05-2014 at 9:21 PM.

I have the Triton MOF001 2 1/4 HP router and it's a great router but doesn't really work that well in a table. I tried it in my table, that is an extension in my table saw, to try and avoid getting a lift. The Triton will adjust from above the table with the hand crank but as stated the safety guard on the power switch requires it to be off, to lock the shaft, when it's raised for bit changes. The other option is the push button to lock it for bit change. I finally got tired of constantly going under the table for bit changes and to lock it after height adjustments, I also had it in a dust collection box, so it was really inconvenient for me.

I finally broke down and got an Incra Mast-R-Lift II and an Porter Cable 7518 router motor setup, wow this combination is the way to go. I use the Triton for hand work now and it does a great job at that.
    Last edited by Earl Rumans; 02-06-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Been using it in my table for 4+ years, used it by hand for 1 or 2 before that. Never a problem .

i have had mine awhile . i have given feedback on this router in the past and some of the loyal supporters get rather upset .
    ok off i go . It is plastic . It is inexpensive . It always has a vac or dust collector .I use the lower port and one on the fence .Nice to keep stuff off the motor .I found it has a bit to much deflection then I would prefer for bigger bits . I have other router and tables so no issue .I have never noticed it to be louder then the other routers .The above table adjustment turns out to be not such a big deal ,general I am down there close so I can see the bit height so below table nob is easier to reach . It is convient to be able to change bits without pulling router but since every bit change requires fence changes I find it isn't as important as I thought .I have never found the switch lock to be a problem worth dismantling . In the 1st year the plastic parts for the mechanism for adjusting the height broke twice . i did a permant fix and got http://www.rockler.com/router-raizer...y_id=elGkupYFd .a router raizer . So yes I use it often ,and I love all routers though I have dumped a few . It is not the best or the best table mount one I have .It works well . I am a strong believer that more routers are better then less and one router table is lonely .So get it and several others.