Thread: Router & Router Table Question(s)

Router & Router Table Question(s)

I was gifted a Craftsman Router Table (#925481)

It's just the table, the fence and a push block. I have 2 questions at the moment.

1) What size Craftsman router will fit in this table?
    2) where can I find the clips to attach a non-Craftsman router?

bonus question
    a) Should I even bother? I don't have a router table at this point and
    thought it may be nice to have one.
    Last edited by Jon Wilson; 02-06-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Here's an example of the clip.
    Thought it might help.

clips_25481.jpg

Looks to me like a simple piece of strap steel on each side would do it. Don't know about the router, it looks like it centers the router with the circle outline. You could probably use anything, and cut a base to fit the circle out of hardboard or plastic. If the base fit right, it looks like a fender washer on each of those bolts would work to hold it too.

RP

EDIT: This post was an answer to your question, but I do agree with everyone who suggests it is better to make one of your own. Lots of pics of basic ones around. You can make one for $5 that will work better than that small one.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 02-06-2014 at 11:42 AM.

I used to have one if those when I first started woodworking. Just about any router works as long as there are openings on the router base for those pieces of metal to grab.
    In my opinion, those router tables are so small you can't do much more than the smallest of projects with it. I put mine at the end of the driveway, in favor of an old kitchen cabinet with the router mounted below the counter top.

My first router table was a cman, and I built my own and gave the cman to my nephew. The plastic featherboards don't hold things tight like a featherboard made of wood. I used the plastic one for a pattern to make some from wood, they hold things much better. The cman router had a locking mechanism, and did not hold the cutters as well as one that clamps down on the router shank.

I'd approach this a little differently.

I'd acquire the router that best met my needs, then determine what kind of table would work best for me afterwards.

I've seen the Cman tables and I'd rather use a couple of pieces of scrap MDF put together smartly. Just my opinion though.
    Stan

Fair enough. That's what I was looking for,
    I was leaning towards the scrap bin when I tried my 3 routers and none of them fit.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

As always, Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    Fair enough. That's what I was looking for,
    I was leaning towards the scrap bin when I tried my 3 routers and none of them fit.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

As always, Thanks for the help!
    What you are missing will become apparent when you have finally disposed of that table.

Its' small size is what would cause me to discard it.