Thread: Neighbor Bowls

Neighbor Bowls

It's been a while since I posted anything, so I thought I would prove that I actually do turn some wood now and then. Our next door neighbor had to take down a nearly dead Elm year before last. They called it Slippery Elm (Ulmus rubra). I asked for some of the wood and promised to make something for them. I did some simple Christmas ornaments last year for them. I had secretly told the husband that I was going to do something bigger at some point so this is what came of it. Four bowls since there are 4 people in the house right now-2 parents-2 daughters. Sizes are in the 10-13" diameter range and are finished with Bush Oil. I delivered them just after Christmas and they were quite surprised and pleased to have a memento of a tree that meant a lot to them. The other children will get bowls made from the cores taken from these pieces.

Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Great bowls and equally great story Don. I grew up in that area and remember the Dutch Elm disease that devastated so many beautifully tree lined streets. Was that elm similar to those? What was it like to turn as it sure turned out beautifully.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 02-06-2014 at 9:09 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Nice classic forms and I like the finish too Don!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dick-it is similar to American Elm and turns nicely. The interlocking grain can be a bit difficult to cut cleanly across the endgrain. Very sharp tools are a must. Thanks for the nice comment.

Very nice bowls and a great gift as well. It is really nice to be able to give these to people who can relate to the wood.

Great lookin popcorn bowls Don! I got a big piecse of Elm a few years back and the wife had me make a large salad bowl ... really liked the smell that came off while turning.
    John 3:16

Hope they smelled better than most elm when turned wet and when dry can be quite hard. Great job and the family will always remember your generosity. Thanks for sharing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I also surprised a few neighbors with bowls from trees that they lost. It's a great memento.

I have about 8 walnut blanks roughed out for the people next door. I intend to have the bowls ready for Christmas .

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Hope they smelled better than most elm when turned wet and when dry can be quite hard. Great job and the family will always remember your generosity. Thanks for sharing.
    The piece I had was years old .... turned ok and had a nice dry smell to it .
    John 3:16

Don, I have been turning a lot of the "Slippery" or Red elm as of late. I got a bunch of it from my cousin wh had a bunch of them standing dead and I got it for firewood. Of course it was very dry because it had been standing dead for 4-5 years and all the bark was off of it and it burned nice and hot! He has a bunch more but we are leaving some to keep the morel mushrooms happy and growing like cazy around the stumps and roots. It smells pretty good and it cuts nice being dry and hard, but a bit dusty at times and will have some iridesence in the grain after finishing it.

Great bowls for good neighbors,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks for all the nice comments! Guess I'm not the only one who enjoys turning Elm. The smell of this wood reminded me of a dairy barn in winter when all the cows are inside and the smell of them and the feed-all in a good way.