Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Lathe recommendations...

Next Lathe recommendations...

Hello,

My name is David Coburn and I've recently started turning bowls.... I have turned pens and stoppers and small things for quite a few years but never really done many bowls until just recently. I have a very cheap setup that I think everyone here knows about, the Harbor Freight 34706. By specification it has a 12" swing and 33" between centers. It has a reversible head for outboard turning but only a 3/4hp motor so I'm not really sure that you would really be able to do much outboard turning.... So far I've done up to a 10" diameter 3" thick cherry bowl and it did ok but I'm afraid as I move up to the full 12" and 4" walnut I'm going to start running into problems. From what I've read I think it will do it as long as I'm in no hurry but I would also like to do some larger bowls 16" or so...

Anyway, I'm very aware of my lathes limitations (under powered & not enough swing) and problems (already replaced a pair of reeves pulleys, no grease on shafts, belt is cheap junk, bottom end speed is too high, etc...)... but for $269 or much less if you do it right it's a real good starter lathe.

So, I'm starting to get the itch to move up to something better... What I'm seeing so far is that there are a bunch of middle range lathes in the $800 to $1200 price range but they're mostly just this same harbor freight lathe packaged a bit differently... The one exception that I've found is the Grizzly 462 (priced at $625, has a 2HP motor, 16" swing, 46" between centers)... but it still has the Reeves pulley setup and I'm assuming many of the same shortcomings of the HF lathe. The Reeves pulleys on my current lathe were really a beating for me over one weekend. Up from these lathes ($800 top $1200 - plus the grizzly) there are a several lathes that cost in the upwards of $2500 range... and then some others that are extremely expensive...

So... I have a couple of questions...

1) With the exception of the Reeves pulley setup is the Grizzly lathe a definitively better lathe than the other ones in the middle price range group and mine?

2) Are there any lathes that you would really recommend in the (less than $1500) price range?

Note: I have many second hand tools (Yorkcraft 15" planer & a Powermatic 8" jointer)... I am no stranger to Craigslist but I'm not really familiar enough with lathes to know if I'm buying a lemon or not as a second hand tool....

Here's a picture of my current lathe setup and first bowls...

Any comments you might have on how to improve my current lathe setup for 12" bowls would be welcome.

daves_lathe.jpg

and here's a picture of my first bowls.... Not too fancy but I'm happy with them... The cherry one is almost 10" diameter and 3" deep.

daves_first_bowls.jpg

thank you for your feedback,
    david

I have only turned a couple of 12in dia items, a platter and a bowl. A big difference in vibration for both compared to e.g., 10in dia. I got the platter askew on the worm screw and it vibrated worse than the 12in bowl.

Starting out the 12in bowl blank will be the challenge for vibration depending on your lowest speed.

The folks who purchase the NOVA 1624 seem to be happy. This was on sale a month ago at Woodcraft for $900. Present price is $1400. If you are not in a hurry wait for another sale.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/202...ood-Lathe.aspx

I have the NOVA DVR XP which is also 16in swing and 24in between centres, but variable speed. This is also sometimes on sale at Woodcraft for $1900.

If you want to turn 12in dia bowls, I would want a lathe which turns down to 200 rpm for the initial roughing.

I have a number of Grizzly machines. I am happy with the machines I have purchased from Grizzly. Based on the comments I have read, it seems the wood lathes are not Grizzly's strong point. I have no idea why.

First thought was the Nova 1624-44. That was my first "real" lathe and up until a couple weeks ago, that is what I used. It's generally $1400, but they have sales several times a year that usually have a couple hundred off, if you can wait.

Pros:

-Very stout 1.5 HP motor
    -16" swing
    -rotating headstock

CONS:

-Light in weight (think 270 lbs, but you can weight it down or get the bench mount version ans bolt it down)
    -No variable speed and the speed ranges are kinda wide between. (I think its 260, 600, 1000, 1400, 2100 RPM or so)
    -Limited to 24" long spindle unless you add bed extensions

If it were me, and you are really going to stick with turning I might suggest saving a bit longer and getting a variable speed lathe. That option adds a $1000 to the Nova line and it just get higher from there.

There is nothing wrong with the Nova 1624. I have turned giant bowls to super small finials, but I desired a big ole monster lathe and saved for 1 1/2 years before finding a rock star deal on a slightly used VicMarc.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Nice bowls, David!

I can't imagine going without variable speed control (not Reeves).
    I have the Delta 46-460, which I would have recommended if Delta still sold spare parts - which they do not. Not the ones you need, anyway.
    I have seen good reviews of the new Jet 1220vs, so that would be my choice of a good midi lathe these days.

I have no knowledge of the Nova lathes, but people who have hem like them.

People who own the Grizzly G0733 for ($1845 with shipping) hold them in very high regard. You get 18" swing, 47" between centers, 2 hp motor.Low speed of 100 rpm. The only qualification is that people who have used both say that the Powermatic 3520 ($3999) is better built. There are a couple of people on the Creek who own these.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Well, two things seem to jump out at me already...

1) I want to get away from the Reeves pulley setup.
    2) Except for not having a VF drive a Nova 1624 could be a good next step for me, especially if I can catch one on sale for the $900....

Thanks to all who have responded already...
    david

Find the local club down in Dallas/Fort Worth. You might be able to get a good used lathe, and even get to test drive a few of them. The clubs are a huge learning source.
    Other than that, variable speed is a 'once you try it you will never go back' thing. I prefer a sliding headstock to a pivoting one, just easier/faster/simpler. Other than that, there is no limit to what you can spend. The Nova is a good lathe, but not my favorite.

robo hippy

bigger bowls may not be the answer, once you turn one where do you display it, all lathes make things go round, yes there are differances in lathes.......good info here, my second lathe was the jet 1642......not looking to trade up unless hit lottery

Might look at this...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0632

Variable speed, 1.5HP, 16" x 42", nearly 400 lb, right at the high end of your price range, though($1550 shipped)

Charlie makes a good point about big turnings. I bought a used Jet 1642 six years ago. 16" swing, 42" between centers, sliding head stock, variable speed. What's not to like?

i looked at the GO632 specs, surprized that it was only offered in 220 volt

I had the Gris 0462 and I don't recommend it. The 600+minimum speed is just to high, especially for someone learning to turn. It is a little bit like the clap, can't get rid of it. I basically gave mine away at an auction. I think you would be happier with a smaller lathe and variable speed. You can do a lot with a 12" lathe. The Grizzly 0733 is a good lathe if you need a larger lathe. I had the earlier version and it did everything I wanted it to do.
    Fred

I have a Powermatic model 90 and don't understand the comment regarding Reeves drive. It is a 1970's vintage and was purchased for $800 and has done everything I have asked of it including 36" diameter table tops.

PM #45 and #90 are readily available on the used market usually on Craig's list and are worth the effort.

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

I moved up from a Rikon midi a few months ago to a Nova 1624 with the bed extension, purchased from a fellow who frequents this forum. Very happy with it and believe it will serve my needs well into the future. I have the cast iron stand supplemented with about 150 pounds of sandbags and she doesn't move or vibrate at all.

Larry

If looking at a Nova 1624-44 try here http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathe...FctcMgodHWsABg .
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Well I just picked up a Nova 1624-44 for $900 at my local Woodcraft. Sale ended at the end of January but they still gave me the deal.... About half way through setup and so far I like it a lot. One strange thing though... the threads on the shaft are to large diameter for my Super Nova 2 chuck... I would have thought those would be standard, especially since they're both Technatool products... Am I missing something or do I simply need to get an adapter?

thanks,
    david
    Last edited by David Coburn; 02-07-2014 at 8:11 PM.