Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had some down time, time to build stuff for thr shop!

Had some down time, time to build stuff for thr shop!

Hey guys!

Unfortunately I have a bit of down time. Not bad... 7 months straight of client after client. I did just confirm a small project today. A few more possibilities on the horizon. 6 days of solid time to build stuff for the shop. Thankfully I ordered the materials a while back.

Any way... You know I loves me some blue & green. However, It'll be a cold day in some place typically hot before I spend $625 on some blue & green that doesn't: A. Make saw dust. Or B. Clean up saw dust.

So I built 4 of my own for less than 1/2 the cost of one Festool Systorage cart. I already owned the 4 festool Sys carts so I didn't factor those in the cost. I used 1/2" prefnished birch for the sides and 3/4 hard maple for the face frames. I wasn't initially planning to use face frames but it straightened out the 1/2" birch nicely. FF's were pocket screwed together and domino'd to the carcass. Sys carts were screwed to the bottom. I planed to make a way to use the festool latch, but that didn't work out as planned and I needed to move on.

These carts will slide into 'docking stations' in my van. Not yet built. I plan to stain the maple GF Georgian Cherry to match my assembly table. It's my theme.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Nice, where do the saw tracks go? You have quite an investment there.
    Richard

Indeed it is! I do not yet have an official storage location for my 3 festool tracks. Not in the shop nor in the van. It's on my to do list.

Once the economy took a dump 5 years ago I started selling off some 'excess' guitar gear. Excess as in like +$20k. 90% of what you see here was purchased 3-5 years ago. The rest was in the last year after I was laid off and began my professional WW career.

I have another shop project I'm hoping to finish today except for installing the casters. They'll be here Tuesday.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

I am glad to hear you are doing well. I look forward to your updates, and shop improvements.

Lornie

Here's another near complete shop project. This was taken straight out of the Woodsmith magazine. Mobile tool storage work surface. Casters are in order. I just have to install the replaceable hardboard top and trim it in hard maple. Then I'll stain the maple Georgian Cherry.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Oops... Forgot to upload the pics. If I have more time, which I hope I don't, I need to build a clamp rack or cart. Probably a clamp cart.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Blog Entries
    Great progress and cool fixtures Michael.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It all looks awesome, I'll bet your shop is beginning to look smaller with all the shop furniture you've been adding.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    It all looks awesome, I'll bet your shop is beginning to look smaller with all the shop furniture you've been adding.
    Thanx Phil! It's looking more complete. Thankfully I still have quite a bit of floor space. Here's some updated pics.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Very nice work Michael. You could roll those into the house they look so nice!
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Very nice work Michael. You could roll those into the house they look so nice! Doug
    Thanx Doug! Like the 'rush-tic' stain? I didn't take the time to sand adequately. Not like I would on a paid gig.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Casters came today. A couple more coats of Arm-R-Seal semi and she's all done. This thing is deceptively heavy!!! These casters are wicked nice too.

Steelex 5" double locking swivel casters on amazon. $12/ea.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

With the drawers open. Tempered hardboard drawer bottoms.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Beautiful furniture, I mean, shop storage.

It's nice to see the economy which took a dump five years ago did not put a damper on your business and/or spirit for you to buy nice tools.

Beautiful work, Michael.

I also have the Steelex casters (from Amazon)..good stuff. They are actually Shop Fox via Grizzly.