Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Paul Sellers on Coping Saws

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What bothers me about Sellers' teaching is he seems to make one feel like his is the only way to get to the finish line.
    "I think the information I gave is correct with regard to craftsmen using the push stroke. That does not mean people can’t use either method. The problem comes when everyone says there is only one way." --Paul Sellers comment in his blog post.

Blog Entries
    The problem comes when everyone says there is only one way." --Paul Sellers comment in his blog post.
    Well then I am remiss for not reading his blog or taking classes from him.

I have only watched a few of his videos. Maybe he is not best represented in the few videos to which I have been directed that has rendered my understanding of his teaching to be tainted.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-10-2014 at 1:55 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I recall my Dad, explaining to me how to cope a joint. He wasn't a carpenter or even very handy. He ran a lumber yard and picked up the how-to from his customers.

• Cut a miter
    • Trace the profile with a pencil line
    • From the back, follow the line with a slight back cut except at the very top.

Other that a few test cuts, I've never use this much but it stuck with me. Partially, because remember how awkward it was to try to cut from the back. It takes some practice. That's a pull stroke with the handle in back of the piece.

I've watched may hours of Paul Sellers along with Rob Cosman and others. I don't think they've ever steered me wrong intentionally but I also don't automatically follow everything they do. It's all good information but I still need to make the analysis and the decisions about what to adopt and what to pass.

For example, I think the convex bevel sharpening Sellers teaches works. I can see and hear the results as he works but I don't use it. Same for Cosman and his 3 angle method. I prefer the flat grind + micro bevel but I've picked up a little about sharpening from both guys.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    I've picked up a little about sharpening from both guys.
    To me, that is the point of watching videos suggested by others. After seeing what others do it is my choice to use whatever part of their technique works in my environment and to discard what doesn't work or seem right for me.

Sometime just one or two sentences may shed light on something that has been elusive, then a technique just clicks into place.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mansell Bettez View Post
    "I think the information I gave is correct with regard to craftsmen using the push stroke. That does not mean people can’t use either method. The problem comes when everyone says there is only one way." --Paul Sellers comment in his blog post.

Ernest Scott (Working in Wood) has shown the coping saw used in both push and pull fashions. It is nothing different from the fact that we can use a plane in push or pull strokes. Those who say it is wrong to use a coping saw in one or the other way are wrong themselves.

In the old days (and in some cultures), writing with the left hand was considered wrong.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 02-11-2014 at 3:00 PM.

"There are many ways to skin a cat"," how ever works", while I believe these statements are true in general they are misleading. I'm sure I could four square a board with an axe or a wide chisel given enough time but is it the best practice, it would be much faster and easier with a plane. For most procedures and tools there is a best practice and use for a particular result. Yes there are work arounds that work, but usually there is one best use or practice. Because of the flexibility of the frame of a coping saw the best use is the pull cut, can it cut on the push stroke yes but not as well as the pull stroke with a V block for support.

I have to agree with you, Tom, that many use the "skin the cat" argument to hide clumsy technique. I have used the coping saw both ways for more than 50 years. I cut on the pull stroke when sitting down and my hand is under the work and I cut on the push stroke when standing up and my hand is in front of the work. This way I always see the line easily and the breakout is always on the back side. To use the saw otherwise is clumsy technique. It takes 20 seconds to switch from one direction to the other. I have seen saws that are not stiff enough to cut on the push; I would not recommend a four dollar saw.
    Last edited by Warren Mickley; 02-11-2014 at 3:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansell Bettez View Post

It's a bit rich for Mr. Sellers to say "the problem comes when everyone says there is only one way," after he has just devoted most of a blog post to insisting that there is only one way! Sort of reminds me of politicians who say something outrageous, then issue a half-hearted apology. Well, the apology is nice, but it doesn't take away the fact that they made the comment in the first place.