Thread: reverse on lathe ?

reverse on lathe ?

what is the purpose of reverse on a lathe---tks,joe

Don't really know, but personally there have been times when I have had some nasty grain that I wondered if being able to cut from the back side of the lathe with the piece rotating in the opposite direction would have helped!

As I understand it, Carole is correct. There are times, not only because of punky wood, but for reach that it would be appropriate to stand on the other side of the lathe. I would only do this if the lathe actually does reverse. When you stand on the "proper" side of the lathe, the wood is spinning toward the operator. So, when you reverse the motor and stand on the other side of the lathe, the wood is still spinning toward the operator.

I'm sure that some of the more experienced folks will also add more to this discussion, since I'm sure there are other reasons to reverse the rotation of your lathe.

The destination isn't nearly as exciting as the path used to get there.

Outboard turning.

One of the rewarding benefits of having reverse on a wood lathe is in sanding applications. However, one must always rembember to keep safety in mind when using the reverse feature and use a grub screw, when using options, such as face plates and chucks, to prevent the same from spinning off.

One disadvantage is, when turning, you may find yourself returning to the grinder numerous times to sharpen your tool, because you can't figure out why it will not cut.

The above answers just about cover the question, Joe. But, I feel it appropriate to throw in a word of warning. Most lathes these days have a screw on (right hand thread) for mounting faceplates and/or chucks. This means that when running in "forward" the force applied against the wood tightens the screw fit. When reversed, the same force is trying to loosen the screw fit. Hence, you could end up spinning the piece and the faceplate or chuck right off the lathe at you. Obviously, not a good thing.

This situation could be remedied simply by cutting a flat on your spindle and drilling and tapping your faceplate or chuck for a setscrew to keep it from loosening when force is applied in the reverse direction.

Of course, as Ed mentions, in outboard turning off the end of the headstock, Reverse is really forward and is not a problem.

Just don't wanna see somebody gettin bonked in the noggin.
    The less you know, the less likely you are to be subpoenaed.

Fred

Now I may be turned around some, and as I get older finding my bearings getting a bit sloppy, But: I belive when one is turning on the outboard end of the head stock, it is the same as turning on the inboard end. Outboard threads on the spindle, if any, are usually cut Left Hand, and running the lathe in reverse when turning outboard is essentially the same as on the inboard end. I would recomend the same Safety precautions be applyed, if turning on the outboard end of the lathe and running it in reverse.

Bill.>>>>>>>

the people who do deep hollowing use the reverse on the lathe so that they do not have to reach over the lathe to work. i have never turned in reverse but i can see how much beating a body would take if you did deep vessels all day and turned them in the normal rotation of the lathe.

See, you can tell I'm new when I say the reverse is used for cutting the other half of the bowl out.

Ernie

Another use of reverse on a lathe; if you use a copy device sometimes on your lathe it can be a headache to mount and unmount it. If you mount it to the rear of your lathe and run the lathe in reverse it will be like have two diiferent lathes, one for free hand work and one for duplicating.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ainge
    the people who do deep hollowing use the reverse on the lathe so that they do not have to reach over the lathe to work. i have never turned in reverse but i can see how much beating a body would take if you did deep vessels all day and turned them in the normal rotation of the lathe.
    Bingo, I learned this after carpel tunnel surgery also I turn in reverse on some bowl type stuff.

Ernie, I knew from the start, that you are a quick learner, but to complete the other half of the bowl ---- Don't forget to turn the tool around.

When I was a young lad , and would watch my Grandfather turn bowls on his lathe, I asked why he ran it backwards. His answer was, "so he could turn the bowl inside-out.

Bill.>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener
    One disadvantage is, when turning, you may find yourself returning to the grinder numerous times to sharpen your tool, because you can't figure out why it will not cut.
    My wife is learning to turn and just last weekend complained to me that the tool wasn't cutting like it used to. I had previously been doing some outboard turning so the lathe was operating in reverse. Hey - it happens.
    Steve