Thread: help on wood carving

help on wood carving

Can someone point me to some good online sources to learn basic carving. I want to get into it but have zero knowledge of the techniques.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Hi, hang out here for a while and you will be off to a good start. This group is as sharing as Sawmillcreek.

http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.com/forum/index.php

Here's one of my favorites:
    http://www.chrispye-woodcarving.com/

I had the same question a few years ago. I did a search for woodcarving clubs and found that there are several here in the Twin Cities area. It's hard to substitute actually talking to someone about carving. I don't know about Arkansas, but I do know carving is big in Iowa. Try calling the folks at the Woodcraft Shop (Not to be confused with the other Woodcraft). They are in Iowa and specialize in woodcarving. I'm sure that they could help you find some resources close to your home. Here is a link to their site. http://216.106.57.170/~bigdog/

I would also agree that Chris Pye is a great resource too! His web site is good and his books are better. I would suggest his books on Woodcarving tools, and his book on Woodcarving introduction, it's the one with the fish on the cover.

Have Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Kocourek
    I had the same question a few years ago. I did a search for woodcarving clubs and found that there are several here in the Twin Cities area. It's hard to substitute actually talking to someone about carving. I don't know about Arkansas,
    I'd bet there is no such thing in Arkie land. It's tough to find anything woodworking around here, carving would be going a step further. For now I only want to get good enough so that I can carve table legs and some basic patterns on flat stuff. No intentions of becoming a sculptor any time soon.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I started with Wood Carving Illustrated the magazine, it usually has a beginners, intermediate, and maybe an andvanced project in each issue. Many good tool and supply sources in it. Be warned, it can take quite a few tools and a decent chunk of cash to carve.