Thread: Millers Falls 56 question

Millers Falls 56 question

I have two low angle block planes. One is a MF 56 that I recently acquired and the other is a Veritas (love both of them). On my Veritas if the blade is retracted all the way I can move the toe far enough back to fully close the mouth. I can't do this with my MF 56. If I move the toe back as far as I can the mouth opening is still about 1/8''. Is this normal for the MF 56?

Blog Entries
    I am not sure if I have ever held a Millers Falls 56.

The variance I have seen in Stanley planes of this type would indicate this is normal manufacturing variance.

The important measurement is how much mouth opening is there when the blade is set for a minimal cut.

If the mouth is still open too wide one needs to determine what keeps it from closing more and what if anything can be done to change the situation if one so chooses.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Derrell
    The MF no 56 is the same as the Stanley no 91/2 and should tighten up the mouth around the cutter just like any other. Have you tried removing the sole and checking it. It might be rusty and therefore it might bind or there might be other issues which prevents the sole from moving. Just unscrew the screw and try to remove the sole by pushing it out through the bottom. If it is stuck you might need to add some lubricant and gently knock the sole with a piece of wood.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets

Blog Entries
    I agree that the mouth does not need to completely close. I does need to be able to be positioned very close to the blade when set for a very fine cut. You will not always be making very fine shavings but, it is a good bet that you will want to at some point. Beyond that it is just extra range of motion that serves no purpose for me.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

IMG_0427[1].jpgHere is a pic of the mouth with the blade set for a minimum cut. The opening between the blade and the toe is ~ 1/16''. The only thing limiting the movement of the toe is the slot on the top that the knob goes through to tighten things up ( no rust on this plane). It functions just fine and takes a nice shaving. I just wanted to know if this is typical of a MF 56 since on my Veritas I can close the mouth all the way. The toe on the Veritas has more range of motion

Blog Entries
    My inspection would be to look at the back of the mouth and the blade bedding to see if it has been filed. It is also possible the sliding part has been filed.

It doesn't look like there is much of the plane body in front of the toe slide in your picture. It could be the angle of view.

Another possibility is your plane might be made up of parts from different planes.

I know over the years Stanley changed the design of their planes and parts are not always fully interchangeable even though people keep trying.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I have a MF57 low angle block plane that has the same issue. If I remove the slotted cam at the front adjuster the mouth can be closed tight. On mine, it is the adjuster that is preventing it from closing for a fine cut setup. One of these days I will lengthen the slot to allow for more travel.

This may be the cause of the MF56 from not closing properly.

I actually had to file the opening of my slotted cam adjuster a bit to keep it from moving the toe piece forward a bit when tightening the knob. But if I remove the cam adjuster and knob completely the mouth only closes up as much as shown in the picture.

Blog Entries
    But if I remove the cam adjuster and knob completely the mouth only closes up as much as shown in the picture.
    It may be possible to file the slot to increase the travel.

jtk

Thanks Jim. I was just thinking the same thing. I'll give that a try this evening. I now have more of an appreciation for what a great job Veritas did improving an already great tool. Although once I get the mouth closed up more on my MF, I think my veritas may get more shelf time. I really like the way the MF feels in my hand since it is a bit smaller, shorter and significantly lighter.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]I really like the way the MF feels in my hand since it is a bit smaller, shorter and significantly lighter.[/QUOTE

I kind of feel that way about my LN 60-1/2. It is a much nicer made plane than my Stanley models of the same size. The Stanleys are a little lighter. For me that is important at times since an old injury sometimes affects my grip when working right handed.

One thing about getting old is all the rough and tumble living of one's earlier years come back to revisit and remind one of all "the good times" one had in the past.

jtk

Success! A little judicious filing did the trick. I had to extent the slot the knob goes through a bit, a little more work on the slotted cam to widen the opening some (otherwise it would cause the toe to be pushed forward slightly when the knob was tightened down), and some narrowing of the shaft on the toe piece that the knob screws in to. Now when the blade is set for a thin shaving I can close the mouth right up to the blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrell W Sloan View Post
    Success! A little judicious filing did the trick. I had to extent the slot the knob goes through a bit, a little more work on the slotted cam to widen the opening some (otherwise it would cause the toe to be pushed forward slightly when the knob was tightened down), and some narrowing of the shaft on the toe piece that the knob screws in to. Now when the blade is set for a thin shaving I can close the mouth right up to the blade.
    And that is how fettling gets a toe hold in the hearts of fettlers everywhere.

jtk