Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw sharpening machine

Steve:
    I'm a bit surprised that George couldn't get his machine to work.He is an exceptional craftsman and extremely ingenious as well.All I can say is that the machine sometimes wins!
    Foley supplied standard 7" taper files with their saw filers. They also supplied "bandsaw blunt" files, which are the ones I think George is referring to. Those are a big triangular file without a tang, and a short triangular taper on each end.They were designed to file bandsaw blades, but would work for large-toothed handsaws like ripsaws.They are too big for standard crosscut saws. I've personally never used them.All the files I've used with the Foley have been standard 6" or 7" slim, extra slim, and double extra slim saw files. The 7" files fit the machine better, but I've used 6" files with the longer file holders.
    Some parts are still available from Foley. Some can be fabricated yourself.
    Rick W

Don't forget,I am not as young as I used to be,nor as energetic. Maybe I didn't pursue trying to get the Foley's working as much as I should have. I just got tired of having to lose 1/2" off a blade while re toothing it.

Well, just my 2 cents for what it is worth. I own both an ACME saw filer and a foley. Yet, I file all my saws by hand. Then again, I may just be crazy like that.

Around here, I've seen several Foley outfits for sale over the years, but nobody seems to want them.

I don't make a habit of selling anything Dave! I paid $400 for the complete set-up, including all carrier bars and ratchets. Equipment is in top notch shape, and one of these days, I may just try to figure it out. As I said, I had it in mind to attempt to build a few saws, and thought the toother would help. What I didn't figure on, is not having time to apply!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I wonder what machines Disston used to make saws? Obviously not Foley, but I'd be curious to learn more of someone has a link. Didn't see it on Disstonian institute site, but I did find this about Foley machines. http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/foleyfiler.html