Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for good band saw blades

I've read too many complaints about Timberwolf blades.

I like Iturra, and hear only good things about Woodcraftbands.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I could not recommend SuperCut. I've had real trouble with their blades as well as their customer service.
    Trouble, such as?
    A statement like that is useless without more info.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Trouble, such as?
    A statement like that is useless without more info.
    Myk, I bought 5 blades. Within a couple of months they all had broken at the weld. I figured it was a bad batch of welds and, since they have a re-weld policy, I'd just send them back to be re-done. I also figured that since it was a bad batch, it would be in their best interest to pay for return shipping. They saw it differently. They would not pay shipping and it cost me over $12.00 to ship defective blades back to them.

When I got the repaired blades back, they all broke at the weld within 2 hours of use.

It's fair to ask if it was somehow my bandsaw or the material I was cutting or my method of cutting that caused the blades to break. I scrutinized the condition of my saw and found everything lined up, tightened up and functioning properly. Also, none of the other blades I use on that saw had similar problems and, really, I can't remember when was the last time I had a blade break except those 10.

The clincher for me was when I sent back the second batch, I was returned blades that were clearly not the blades had I sent. The blades I got back were rough-looking, rusty and dull. They were definitely not the blades I sent to them with only a few hours of use on them.

I've been happy with blades from http://www.bcsaw.com/

Used Haltbar 201 band saw blade for rough cutting. I don't recommend this for resawing though.

I use http://buyfromawoodworker.com/Diamon...Blades_c10.htm very good blades, prices and customer service.

I've been working with a customer who has had chronic performance issues with his MM16. Swore up and down it was not the blades because he (IIRC...) was trying blades from several different vendors and still getting problems. Tension and tracking were good. He finally sent me a video of the machine. Lo and behold, all blades with bad welds. And these were from several unrelated vendors.

Point being that even the best blade stock in the world can be welded incorrectly, no matter who you buy it from.

These are the mfrs. I have personally used and whose stock I can recommend:

-Lenox
    -Timberwolf
    -Olsen
    -Industrial Blade Supply

Again, the best stock in the world can be welded improperly so I would never discount a brand just because I got a (or a batch of...) lemons. I'd call the vendor and ask them to send me some replacement ones.

My 2-cents as always,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I buy my blades from Iturra.

If I have a problem, he even covers the shipping cost.
    A little extra cost, an actual expert providing the service.

Money well spent, I say.

Rod, look up saw suppliers in your area and go to one.

They make up the blades to order, they'll have a beeter selection of tooth profiles and blade material, at a much lower cost that store bought blades.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    For a 14" saw, I've found the SuperCut at HF are great blades.
    I've only bought 3 or 4 but yes, they seem like good blades & good value. I bought mine direct from SuperCut as HF only stocked 105". I was curious about the Grizzly 'carbide' blades and checked them. They kinda look like Supercut with their "embedded carbide". If I'm correct, Griz seems kinda expensive.

Another vote for these guys: http://www.industrialblade.net/

Friendly, efficient, usually ship the same day, and the best prices I have found for Lenox blades.
    Regards,
    Dick

Hmm, no love fore Spectrum Supply. They have the cheapest price on Lenox Trimaster and great service to boot.

http://www.spectrumsupply.com/trimaster.aspx

Thanks for the info, everyone. I have some on order now and a list of other places to try if they don't work out well.
    Rod, local guys haven't worked out for me. Closest I can get is 1 1/2 hours from he, and he would order in pre-made. Plus, he just shut down. 4 hour drive gets me to a place whose welds break in the first few minutes of use...

Hi Rod, sorry to hear about that, I'm lucky, there are a few excellent companies in the town I live in.

I just order the blades and they mail them to me...............Regards, Rod.