Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for good band saw blades

Source for good band saw blades

It seems that over the last 2-3 years the quality of the band saw blades I have been able to buy has decreased dramatically. I can't get more than a month out of a new blade and I used to get several months out of them. I haven't changed what I do, so it has to be the blades that are different. Is anyone else having this problem? Where are you getting good quality blades that work for hardwood, softwood and some baltic birch. Thanks

Woodcraftbands. Just give them a call and tell them what you want to do, and they will steer you to correct blade. For me it's simple, 1/4" bi-metal. 6TPI, hook pattern. Cut THOUSANDS of TFT car bodies on just one blade. Blade lasted TWELVE years, before it finally broke (not at weld.)

90% of my band saw work is re-sawing eight inch maple and cedar so I use a Grizzly 5/8" carbide blade and it cuts straight and fast. Lasts me about six months and I cut over 500 lineal feet this way every six months.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

For a 14" saw, I've found the SuperCut at HF are great blades.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Suffolk Machinery. They'll ask about your saw and what you cut, then make some recommendations for Timberwolf blades. They used to offer a "443" deal to new customers, meaning you get 4 blades for the price of 3.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

+1 on the Suffolk Machinery/Timberwolf blades.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Blog Entries
    Highland Woodworking - Woodslicer

http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/

I asked woodcraft bands if they had a blade to cut 9" thick Gabon ebony; Nope.

Bought a Lenox Woodmaster CT from them for a reasonable price. I've bought lesser bands from Iturra and Suffolk for jobs other than serious resawing, but the woodmaster is an awesome band for big pieces.

Blog Entries
    I wish I had some 9" Gabon Ebony to cut. Its available, I just don't want to pay for it .

I have tried Timberwolf, Woodslicer, Ellis and another I don't recall. Timberwolfs cut faster. Woodslicers cut cleaner and thinner. Didn't care for Ellis and didn't even bother to remember the other one . I may have to give a carbide blade a shot one of these days but, I change blades for the task at hand and get good service out of the Suffolk and Highland WWing products.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

bandsawbladesdirect.com - they totally rock. I have a 19" BS and the manufacturer saved maybe a dime/saw by printing one manual for both 17" & 19" saws with the only difference being the specs pages - cheap sob's. In my hurry & ignorance I read the blade length for the 17" when I placed my order. All their blades are made to order and I got some expensive ones - bi-metal & carbide. Was most bummed when I tried to put one on my saw. Called them up & explained the problem including the admission that it was 100% my fault. They said they would use the returns for a smaller blade order - took my screwups back and only charged me for the difference in blade length between 17" & 19" size plus a small weld fee. I was sure I was going to have to toss $300+ worth of blades.

prices are great, service is fast & customer service that can't be beat. I'll never buy blades anywhere else.

oh yah and the 1/2" carbide blade is so dang good I have left it on for months

I've had good luck with Timberwolf and Viking. And I've seen several recommendations on Woodslicer, but not tried one.

No offense to Myk, because I've never bought a blade at Harbor Freight, but I usually do not think of "great" when it comes to Harbor Freight blades, or tools, other than in reference to price.

I could be wrong about their bandsaw blades, but I gave up on them years ago, other than for generic items like nitrile gloves and occasional-use tools like angle grinders.

I also like Timberwolf, but I bought several 105" blades on closeout at HF for a couple bucks each.
    HF does have it's gems. SuperCut is in Idaho.
    http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/aboutus.html
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I also like Timberwolf, but I bought several 105" blades on closeout at HF for a couple bucks each.
    HF does have it's gems. SuperCut is in Idaho.
    http://www.supercutbandsaw.com/aboutus.html
    I could not recommend SuperCut. I've had real trouble with their blades as well as their customer service.

14. I use http://www.industrialblade.net/
    best prices , shipped same day of order , fast shipping , great customer service
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Christensen View Post
    bandsawbladesdirect.com - they totally rock. I have a 19" BS and the manufacturer saved maybe a dime/saw by printing one manual for both 17" & 19" saws with the only difference being the specs pages - cheap sob's. In my hurry & ignorance I read the blade length for the 17" when I placed my order. All their blades are made to order and I got some expensive ones - bi-metal & carbide. Was most bummed when I tried to put one on my saw. Called them up & explained the problem including the admission that it was 100% my fault. They said they would use the returns for a smaller blade order - took my screwups back and only charged me for the difference in blade length between 17" & 19" size plus a small weld fee. I was sure I was going to have to toss $300+ worth of blades.

prices are great, service is fast & customer service that can't be beat. I'll never buy blades anywhere else.

oh yah and the 1/2" carbide blade is so dang good I have left it on for months
    That is amazing service, kudos to that outfit.