Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever just sit in your shop and enjoy it?

Do you ever just sit in your shop and enjoy it?

Hi!

I was just sitting here at the moment and feeling warm and fuzzy about my workshop. It is in an above ground basement with a lot of windows...but it is dark and I was not looking outside.

I was just enjoying my "man cave" I suppose. Not doing any work, just hanging out with my tools...and feeling real good about it!

I do have an old computer in the shop with internet access...from which I am writing this post.

Am I the only one????

Just wondering....
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

You are not alone. I practically live in my shop. I have computer w/internet, Bose, refrigerator, bathroom, garage and shop are in a separate 32 x 64 building. Got a woodstove and a border collie that goes everywhere I go. And yes I spend a lot of time just poking around. I get a good view of the Wind River mountains and routinely see deer and antelope out the window. Being in the house is just for sleepin, eating and showering.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Am I the only one????
    No. Someone said the feeling men get from tools is exactly the same as women with shoes/handbags... I can believe it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Add a beer fridge and your in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Add a beer fridge and your in heaven
    Oh! I forgot about that! I have one with four taps (used to homebrew a lot) but only one is active...

Ha, ha...wonder what else I forgot about....
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Definitely not alone. I especially enjoy sitting there looking over the results of a day's much-enjoyed work.

Fred

I sit in my shop and daydream about moving into a bigger one. More 220v plugs. More floor space. Central dust collection. Finishing room. Aahhhh Tomorrow can't come soon enough.
    Measure once, cut twice.

Frequently! Always thinking how to make things better, how to work smarter and just taking a moment to just think about how far along my tools and I have come in a relatively short period of time.

You are absolutely not alone, well maybe in your shop, but but I have the same feelings in mine. It is where I spend virtually all my time and I love just being there. I even have a flat screen so I can enjoy ballgames in the shop.

Oh, I've spent many a warm fuzzy moment in quite solitude of my basement hovel, contemplating the work that has gone into turning the damp spider den under the house I purchased into a dry comfortable wood shop. You are not alone. I wish I had more time to spend contemplating and dreaming presently.

Here is a funny video that demonstrates this sentiment… It also demonstrates why it's best (for a married man…) to have a stand alone shop.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/vide...nd-his-castle/

As for me… Absolutely! I love being surrounded by my shop. When It was only a hobby I used to find excuses to go in the shop (then it was in my attached garage). Now that I'm a full time WW I do not get as much passive time to bask in the glory of my shop. However, I do still feel completely elated when I'm in the shop working. I sometimes find myself giggling. Especially after I built my festool systorage carts for less than 1/2 of what it would've cost to buy ONE festal systorage cart.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Most people hate glue-ups, but not I. Once everything is clamped up (assuming it's large and takes most of your bench) there's nothing to do but wait..
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I'm in the shop, foot of fresh snow outside, paths all shoveled, fire in the wood stove with glass door, Fred the dog curled up in one glider rocker, me in another, music going, 68 degrees inside, 16 outside, wife of 61+ years coming up with some marshmallows to toast in the stove. Things are rough but someone has to do it.

14. Yes if a day spent cleaning and organizing counts.

I guess I have done it in the past when I had more time. These days when I'm down there i'm running like a headless chicken to get as much done as I can, but I do get a moment of pause to look at things I have achieved making there.