Thread: Power twist belt on Jet BS?

My Jet 14 DXPRO bandsaw belt has started croaking like a frog. I had noticed I was getting some slowing of the blade while reading some hard maple- I just figured I was going to fast. But it kept getting worse to the point where I stalled it out- turns out my belt was slipping and it burnished a section of it and it began croaking like a frog going around the drive pulley. A buddy of mine had some left over power twist belt so I took the lower wheel off, slapped that on, and fired it up. The croaking and vibration are gone, but the new belt sounds a bit like a turbine. Is that normal? Are these meant to be used on multi-groove pulleys or is this the wrong application? I see them referred to as V-belts which makes me think they aren't meant for this application. Thoughts? And yes, I did double check that it's running the correct direction.
    Where did I put that?

That should read 'I stalled' it out, not installed (darn autocorrect). Forum runner won't let me edit for some reason.
    Where did I put that?

When you say multi groove pulleys, do you mean the flat belts with micro vees? If so, I don't believe the power twist is meant as a replacement. I use a link belt on my old Delta 14" (with riser block), but in standard v groove (A section) pulleys. Quiet, vibration free, and has never slipped.

If you are talking about A section vee groove pulleys with two grooves, some people say you shouldn't use the link belts for a matched set. I would try it before I believed that.

Is the power twist a link style belt?

Wow, it looks like your band saw does use a flat poly V belt. Haven't seen that before. In that case, a link belt definitely isn't the correct thing. A quick google search shows a 200J5 poly belt like this one . I would measure the old one or look for a code to make sure of the size before I ordered one, though. That's' interesting.

Yea. Not gonna work. Looking at my current belt- it's loaded with sawdust. Gonna clean it out and try again. I was afraid I had over torqued the bearings or something. Thanks for the link. The belt is clearly labeled as an auto belt.
    Where did I put that?

I think those flat belts need to be pretty tight, make sure your tension is good. My drill press uses one, didn't know anything else did.

Yep. Scraped it clean (sawdust was cooked on). Put back on and the frog is gone. Interesting. This twist belt will fit the drill press though...
    Where did I put that?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I think those flat belts need to be pretty tight, make sure your tension is good. My drill press uses one, didn't know anything else did.
    Rikon 10-325 uses a flat poly V belt as well. They must be pretty efficient at transmitting power. It looks too small for a 1.5 h.p. motor but I haven't detected any slippage.

I found out something yesterday that I never knew about the multi-groove flat belts. There is a gauge to check to see if the belt is worn, if the gauge stands proud of the grooves it is good. If the gauge sits all the way in the grooves it is time to replace. My mechanic explained this to me. I would imagine that the application doesn't matter just whether the belt is worn or not.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

My delta hybrid saw (when I had one) also had that type of belt. It worked pretty well. It must be the preferred inexpensive OEM belt for lower power applications.