Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to keep the lid closed on a sliding lid boxes ??

Bill, Im not teasing when I say this - use 2 magnets, separated by an inch or so. Not great, but it should work. I had to do something similar on a project of mine and the second one made a noticable difference.

Hope it helps!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Bill,
    I know you have tried magnets but just wanted to offer this site where I have purchased very small rare earth magnets before for uses such as yours. They have them down to 1/32" thick and all sizes and shapes. 2 of the small ones facing each other would hold it shut. You could drill out the shallow hole for these with a lipped brad point bit very easily.
    Jim

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10
    My box of magnets just came today from them!

It's too late for these boxes but I make a lot of little boxes like this and I carefully plane my lids so they slide about 90% of the way easily and fiction fit the rest of the way. I usually cut rabbets in the lid and I'll use my shoulder plane to remove material to dial in the fit I want. Basically I leave the last bit of the lid that slides into the groove a little fat.

+1 for KJ Magnetics.

It would take some experimenting, but if there was no tongue on the last two inches (maybe?), then the handle end of the lid would be free to flex up - assuming the lid material is thin and flexible enough. Then it could be made with a small dado that snapped down over the side of the box when the lid was fully closed. You could open it by lifting the flexible end of the lid while sliding the dado clear of the wall. This will require a bit of overhang to get a place to lift. Hmmm. I wonder if you can see what I am trying to explain. I've never done this, but have made a variety of flexible wood drawer catches along the same theme.

Sweet Domino's & Boxes !
    got a link to those Rockler templates ?
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Would a strip of velco, at the closed end of the rabbet work?

It's mechanical, but easily applied with scissors and glue.
    It would be impervious to seasonal changes, to boot...

http://www.velcro.com/Products/Adhes...x#.Uvt8BvldVIo

Nice looking boxes.

What about placing a thin, self-adhesive backed, poly tape in the rear end groove/slot to narrow the space? Or, add to the thickness of the tongue at the read end. The lid will be held in place when it is full closed; otherwise, it will slide freely.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that I was at the end of the thread and all has already been suggested.
    Last edited by Daniel Moore; 02-12-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Interesting website. I wonder what you would use a 4” diameter X 1” thick magnet for or how you would even handle it.
    718 pound pull. Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Moore View Post
    Nice looking boxes.

What about placing a thin, self-adhesive backed, poly tape in the rear end groove/slot to narrow the space? Or, add to the thickness of the tongue at the read end. The lid will be held in place when it is full closed; otherwise, it will slide freely.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see that I was at the end of the thread and all has already been suggested.
    It's still a good idea.
    It's not a race - you're among some clever people.

Wish I had thought of it...

Ya gotta just LOOOOOVE Amazon and Mr. Bezos...

$10.57 for a $2.97 item... ain't capitalism great.

And he treats the people who get it out of the box in an enormous warehouse like slaves...

Yes, they work great. I have used a bigger (in diameter) version of them for some boxes I made. The end with the ball detent was thicker, of course, 3/4" as I recall. I explained away the thick end by doing some fluting on it "to make it look nice..."

The judges bought it... and I won a prize, which was all that counted.
    Last edited by Edward Oleen; 02-15-2014 at 2:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    Bill,

Gorgeous work!

I've used these before; http://www.brusso.com/bc-263/

They've worked nicely in situations where I did not want visible hardware.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Oleen View Post
    Ya gotta just LOOOOOVE Amazon and Mr. Bezos...

$10.57 for a $2.97 item... ain't capitalism great.

And he treats the people who get it out of the box in an enormous warehouse like slaves...

Yes, they work great. I have used a bigger (in diameter) version of them for some boxes I made. The end with the ball detent was thicker, of course, 3/4" as I recall. I explained away the thick end by doing some fluting on it "to make it look nice..."

The judges bought it... and I won a prize, which was all that counted.

Ships from and sold by Jerico Inc..

14. offset button to keep sliding lid closed

I cut a circular button from hardwood. abut 3/8" thick and an inch or so in diameter. drill a hold offset from the center. This gives a cam action. Attach to the face of the sliding lid box so that the button when rotated up, prevents the lid from sliding out. When rotated down it is out of the way of the box lid which can then be slid out to open the box. The button is attached with a screw. You can use a fiber, leather, or similar washer if needed to provide a good friction fit to keep the button tight.

Enjoy,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I have made a few sliding lid boxes but I am not sure how to keep them closed. I make them loose enough so they will slide easy and will not get really tight when I put finish on them or the weather changes but still wind-up with a loose lid that will slide out if the box is tilted.

So what is the best way to keep them tight but can still be opened when the weather changes?

This is the type box I am talking about.

Attachment 282233
    Attached Images Attached Images

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    You could search LeeValley for bullet catches, they are unobtrusive and designed for this kind of application.