Thread: First time post

First time post

Hi all,
    I've been following this site for awhile, intro- I'm a floor refinisher by trade, but just have a great passion for woodworking in general, my obsession is festool, I own every festool tool available in NA. My other obsession is vintage hand tools, I just can't get enough. It's a newer interest for me, so I don't exactly have the best knowledge of what's what for certain tools. So I ask, where do I begin to become schooled on values of certain items, my biggest weakness is planes, I know almost nothing about them, therefore I normally steer clear of them. But I also pass up a lot of them that could be valuable. My favorite items are measuring items and chisels. (mostly slicks, and larger ones) but I am starting to collect socket chisels as well..
    I am also in the process of building a nice wood shop that I will start re-sawing old beams and joists into reclaimed flooring. I just bought a Great uni-saw, jet dust containment, and a nice bridge wood jointer, have a few kapex saws and other mitres. my next purchase will be a Laguna bandsaw for resawing. So any advise for resawing would be great as well too.
    Well thanks for reading and look forward to any valuable advice
    Sam

Welcome to the forum! We may as well start picking your brain...I had a brand new wood floor installed in a brand new house last year, 3" #2 oak sanded and finished in place. Two months later all the boards cupped, I'm guessing the only fix would be to re-sand and re-finish?

First thing to do is check the humidity in the wood, then either get heat under the floor, or run a dehumidifier constantly. Your floor should never have cupped like that, is it installed below grade. As far as fixing, you can get it to flatten back down almost perfectly if you get the heat and humidity fixed. If you can't get it fixed, then yes, a sand and finish will need done. BUT!!! If you don't resolve the humidity issue, it's gonna happen again. There are at least 10-15 things that I would need to ask before giving you an exact solution.

I had that same cupping problem when I lived in Maryland and when I got the air conditioner running it all disappeared. I resaw a lot with my band saw and I like 5/8" carbide blades from Grizzly.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Welcome Sam, good to have you here. I'm an old tool nut too, there are a few of us here. Valuation input here is useful for sure. The Neander guys tend to use theirs, and some don't like us collector/users collecting. I think we outnumber them though. Interesting you mention slicks, I was trying to figure out how to get my Keen Kutter slick to fit in a tool cabinet last night. Those things are monsters.

http://workshop.tjmahaffey.com/plane...lanes1_anchor5

sam,
    the above is an address for an excellent article on hand planes authored by Robert Fesser from the WoodNet Forum. Apparently I am not computer literate enough to provide the link that one can click on and it magically appears. It is packed with the information that should assist you in your quest.

Every Festool product available in NA? You may have an issue.

Apparently I am better than I thought (hey I make sawdust for a living) but it appears that one can just click on it and get to the article. Hope it helps.

Some great info. Thanks. Sam