Thread: Going to the Detroit Woodworking Show?

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)

Going to the Detroit Woodworking Show?

A couple friends and I are going to the Detroit Woodworking show on Friday, February 14. Anyone else going? What do I look for? Are there any good deals at these shows, or are they just appealing because, hey, it's a huge building full of woodworking tools and woodworkers?

You better bring home a dozen roses
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I'm going to the one in Kansas City on the 28th do not expect much Lee Valley is going to be there would like to look at a few of there tools, don't think you'll find any fantastic deals, it's too noisy to hear the seminars . It can be fun though
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)
    Wife is taking church girls to snow camp. Valentines Day will be next week some time.

I won't waste the time, gas, or admission on another of these shows until I hear multiple glowing reviews saying it was the best show ever. Last one I went to 2/3 of the listed exhibitors were all one retailer attempting to represent themselves as the various "exhibitors" listed. And they were selling stuff at prices I could easily beat any day of the week without paying $10 to attend their sale.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 02-13-2014 at 4:31 PM.

I agree with Matt that it really isn't worth the time and expense. I remember when they used to be at COBO and it truly could take 2 days to really see it all without rushing through.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

If you have never been to a hobby show before and it's not too long of a drive, my vote would be "Go". It's hard to gauge what others find interesting. My wife cannot stand flea markets but I love them. Same kind of deal. It's worthing doing once for everyone.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I am going to work the Detroit Area Woodturners booth tomorrow but can't make it Saturday.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I'll be going to the show on Saturday. The last one I attended wasn't the greatest, but it's kind of a catch 22 situation. Everyone not going due to bad past experiences won't encourage them to improve the show, it will just encourage them to skip Detroit next time around. That said, it would be nice if they added some features to the show like the Fine Woodworking Seminars they are doing at other locations this year.

I'll try to remember to post some feedback after the show.

Rick

They skipped Detroit the last time around after having it at Gibraltar Trade Center for a couple years. So I guess this year is a significant improvement. Actually skipping Detroit all together instead of going to GTC is probably an improvement. Can't get a much worse venue than that.

The shows at Gibraltar were certainly less than ideal. I also seem to recall reading that the coordinators of the show have made an effort in the last year or two to improve the quality of the show. Hopefully that effort and the new location in Novi translates into a better show. We shall see.

Rick

Hopefully someone that attends will write some reviews on how it was. The show at Gibraltar was a joke...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

I went to the show today and its pretty small but there were enough seminars to keep me busy all day. Bob Settich had the most interesting presentations and wasn't promoting any tools, just his videos. I attended his craftsman chair making presentation and his presentation on cabinet making. I've never made a chair before but am planning to make some after seeing his demonstration. I also picked up a few pointers from his cabinet making demonstration but I already knew most of what he had to say. I also attended David Heim's introduction to sketch-up and enjoyed the presentation even though it was a little dizzying at times. I don't have any experience with sketch-up but plan to give it a try. He also has an "improve your sketch-up" and a "supercharged sketch-up" presentation. I found one vendor that had some good prices on Freud sawblades. There is also a vendor in the very back of the show that buys out hardware stores and the like who has some good prices on Norton sandpaper, Irwin forstner bits, and some brand name saw blades and hole saws. I'm going to take an inventory of my Forstner bits and hole saws tonight and will probably buy some tomorrow. I'll also be at the Michigan Association of Woodturners booth from 12 noon to 2 pm.