Thread: Need help with choosing shellac.

Need help with choosing shellac.

I am going to use shellac for the interior of a cabinet I am building for the wife and plan to pre assembly finish the inside surfaces. What shellac would your recommend? Would you cut it or use it straight from the container? Planning to put on two coats to the interior surfaces and the drawer boxes.

Thanks for your help.

George

De-waxed shellac. If you are mixing your own from flakes a 2# cut is fine. 2 coats is all you need no need to sand between coats. If you are buying premixed Zinsser shellac I would recommend the Seal Coat (also a 2# de-waxed shellac) If you want another color shellac then mixing from flakes is the best option. All the other Zinsser's still have the wax.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I use the Zinsser SealCoat that Scott mentions for this purpose and pretty much any other time, too, since I generally use shellac as a sealer or for a simple clear finish. You can also use a water borne finish for the insides of cabinets...which is what I did for my own kitchen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Agree with Jim and Scott..
    Jerry