Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am DEFINITELY in the wrong business

I am DEFINITELY in the wrong business

Howard Rosenberg

You and me both. We should go into business together

Apparently this was for for sale up your way...

Here's my latest creation. I call it "Unfortunate Bookends". Only $65 on my Etsy store.

20140213_204034_resized.jpg

Anybody remember "Pet Rocks

In my younger days I had a friend, an artist. Iconoclast to say the least. He was involved in a local annual art show. He was a cabinet maker by trade, artist by nature, cynic by choice I'd imagine. He felt the annual show had been over run with dilettantes and posers. So he built a very nice pedestal. And he collected dog poop. Put the poop in a brown paper bag. Went to the show, put the bag on the pedestal. The local illuminate conversed all night about "what the artist meant" by the simple statement of the pedestal and bag.....discussed the form.....blah blah blah. My friend felt art was meant to be felt, not discussed. Just before "judging time".. this was a juried show....he walked up to the bag, covered it in lighter fluid and lit it. The judges gasped, what did the artist mean to convey now? What statement was he making? A study in the transformation of man in modern society? Blah blah blah...so they made the mistake of asking him what he meant. At a certain point a burning bag of dog poop starts to smell. At that point he told them "Problem is you people can't tell the difference between art and a flaming bag of dog poop" He was never invited back to that show.

Personally I'd rather have the bag of dog poop than that block of nothing to remind me not to over consume. Though if you find yourself with so much extra money you can't find anything better to do with it than buy that block of nothing, you could certainly use it to bang against your head in hope the crack it made might let in some sense. Art is meant to be felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Dowd View Post
    Anybody remember "Pet Rocks

I knew some girls that actually bought them!

Peter,

You made me laugh. A lot.

Rick P

Woodworkers have the talent and tools to make one of these, while many do not.

The guy that started Pet Rocks made 4.5 million before the fad wore off.....
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kertesz View Post
    The guy that started Pet Rocks made 4.5 million before the fad wore off.....

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

H. L. Mencken

The "nothing" guy? I would like to kick his ass. It's despicable to do something artless, and sell it as worthwhile.
    The World will be none the poorer without this sort of smug, ironic crap.

The thing is, the workmanship isn't even that good. Even in the picture, I can see the grain coming right through the finish. If you're going to do something like this, I would expect it to be perfect with attention to detail. That's what makes me think he's not taking it seriously as any sort of art but just a convenient way to get people's cash.

These are hilarious. Even serialized to show authenticity.

Maybe inspired by this:

If you really want to laugh...

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

And yes, it's serious, and yes, people buy the stuff. Scroll down...you'll even find a bag of rocks.

Reminds me of the stuff in woodwork magazine.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!