Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Kick Back Almost Got Hurt Yesterday A Safety Reminder

Exclamation Table Saw Kick Back Almost Got Hurt Yesterday A Safety Reminder

I have been around power tools and machinery most my life and I have learned to respect them. Woodworking is a new venture for me and I have been doing crash courses researching and reading everything I can.

This research paid off yesterday. I know that I would be in the hospital right now or worse. A square 1"x1" flat ended 2 foot section of board would have went completely through me with the possibility of cutting my Spine in half.

Friends, this is a serious reminder to always be safe when working around the power tools we use in our lives. I know this has probably been posted before but sometimes it just does not happen to the other guy. All within a few seconds time space.

This board had to going a 100 MPH with tremendous force.

I went to a Estate sale a couple weeks ago, the man had been a Woodworker and had a full shop. Picked up some various wood in the 2-5 foot range most 6" wide. I have no idea what kind of wood some of it is but a few pieces are very hard.

Since I am still learning so my projects are small in scale. I am working on making some boxes currently. I ripped down a few boards into 1/2" to 2" strips about 24" long. I do not own a Jointer so have been using the Router with a straight bit to get my edges ready to glue, this has worked fine for me. On a few strips of this wood I could not stop Chatter and a rough edge in places.

So I decided to use my Table saw to just shave the edge on the pieces that were rough. I had the Fence set to the right of the blade and the waste cut to the left of the blade. Ran about 5 strips through the blade and had a nice clean edge. On the last strip that was about 7/8 x 7/8 with about 2" left to pass the blade the board grabbed.

This is what happened next. My saw (Bosch 4100) was setup on my patio due to shop size. In a split second after I felt the board grab, this strip of wood shot back and it was over in seconds.

The results were, the board hit a portable radio sitting on a shelf 20 feet away from the TS and 6" higher than the TS top, it dented in the speaker grill. From there it deflected up about 3 feet still flying like an arrow and went through the window screen and a double pane window. From there it traveled another 15 feet and hit a pantry shelf displacing several items and then bounced off the shelf and hit the side of the Kitchen cabinet. From there it deflected again and landed about 10 feet away into the laundry room.

There was glass spread all over a 300 square foot area, on counter tops, pantry shelves etc... It was a giant mess.

My entire point to this is the research and things I have learned.

I was standing to the Side (left) of the TS Blade, a good thing.

Use the proper equipment when working with small stock, I was NOT using a proper Push Stick.

Keep focused until the board has completely passed the saw blade, I momentarily took my eyes off the board being cut.

I never let people into the patio area when I am cutting. Now I will move the TS and make sure no one can be in harms way.

Thanks for reading and sorry so drawn out, I think some of this is for my benefit by writing it down.

I'm not sure where I picked up the idea, but ice picks are the bomb for pushing wood past a blade. I try to spring the pick, so if anything goes wrong my hand is already pushing away from the blade.

Glad you were not hurt.

Were you using a splitter and blade guard? Was the wood face finished and flat?

Check the rip or anti- kickback pawls, as purchased sometimes they need the teeth filed to a sharper point to dig in successfully and trap the kicker.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Did you have a splitter in?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Blog Entries
    Glad you weren't hurt, but man, we need pictures of the carnage! I hope you haven't been watching and learning from the home improvement shows where they never use a blade guard and splitter. I learned my lesson a few years ago. And a pointy push stick isn't the answer, you need one that holds the work from tipping up as it goes through the blade. Something like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-13-2014 at 10:42 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Ole Anderson has the right push stick.

Bradley, DO NOT use a metal push stick, much less something small and pointy like an ice-pick.

Use a half fence and the chances of a kickback are just about eliminated. Attach a sub fence onto the main fence and make sure it does not go past the blade mid point. Doing that the matrial has nowhere to be trapped between the back of the blade and the fence as the space created by the thickness of the sub fence gives the wood plenty of clearance. There is no difference in accuracy from using a full fence.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Blog Entries
    Glad you weren't hurt. It is amazing how fast a piece of material can go from zero to gone. It is almost as if the thing just vanished, till it hits something. this is why I give a big eye-roll to the folks who post that there saw "isn't that powerful" and they can just "hold onto the wood". There's no time to make an adjustment or a judgement; the wood is already across the room (hopefully).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use Grr-rippers (two of them on long pieces) and sometimes a spliter with a well designed push stick. I always stand to the side, wear a thick shop apron, and as you said, have the healthiest respect for my TS. Glad you didn't get hurt and thanks for the reminder that we are working with potentially deadly equipment. Or at least we should treat the TS as if it is. I love working in the shop, producing things, but know I must keep focused when the TS and/or any power equipment is on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I'm not sure where I picked up the idea, but ice picks are the bomb for pushing wood past a blade. I try to spring the pick, so if anything goes wrong my hand is already pushing away from the blade.
    Please tell me these picks are made of plastic, not metal...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Tablesaws as they are represented in home shops have to be one of the alltime,most ignorantly designed pcs of equip.Enter sawstop......leaving all opinions aside.The co did choose an easy target.From a business model(making money as the prime goal),you wouldn't pick an inherently "safe" pce to establish yourself(in the safety industry) would you?No,you'd pick the pce that is completly backwards from the getgo.Tablesaws are like muzzleloding firearms.Yes,they can be extremely accurate.......but that ain't from a safety standpoint.Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.So standing on the firing line,looking down the muzzle whilst using a tablesaw isn't exactly "safety 101".

Use a BS for cutting small pcs.Also use them for any tension or reaction pcs.Good luck,glad you didn't get hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Regardless of safety concerns, I'm not that interested in having metal anywhere near my spinning blades.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

I've been using this push stick...works good so far...solid and confortable
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,240,45884

This saw looks like it has a splitter or riving knife. Were you using it. In general if you use a riving knife or splitter, this type of accident should not occur.