• Wobbler Dado Set

3 1.81%
  • Router

33 19.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TS DADO blades Do you use em.

TS DADO blades Do you use em.

I've got a Forrest Dado King 8" set with shims that to be honest, I've used a very few times. Not because it's not great, but I've found that I prefer to use a router to make my dado's and adjust the piece to fit the predisposed slot size rather than cut a custom slot for a special thickness.

My Question how do you groove

1) Stack dado
    2) dial-a-dado
    3) Wobbler- (my first one)
    4) Router

I'm considering getting rid of mine.
    Last edited by Keith Hankins; 02-14-2014 at 2:05 PM. Reason: edit text

Stacked dado set for 95% plus of my dado operations. The other 5% is split between just doing two passes with the regular saw blade or a router bit. I just find it easier to set up the dado stack and move the fence to where I need it.

I use stacks from 8" to 16" but by far my favorite is the trenching heads that expands and cuts the cleanest sides and bottoms of all the grovers.

wadkintrenchinghead028_zpsa8ad7ab4.jpg

wadkinhead002_zps981368c3.jpg

wadkinhead004_zps8cb829c2.jpg

here is small one on my Delta RAS

jack
    English machines

I'm with you, Keith.

I bought the Freud Diablo DD208 set last year and thought it would solve all of my dado problems. It was kind of frightening to use at first (I have a Ridgid R4512 and haven't made a ZCI for it yet because they're a PITA to make), but I got used to it. Then when I finally built a router table into my table saw extension a few months ago, I found doing dados that way was much easier.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses, depending on the size of the board, but I feel safer using the router table rather than seeing a mass of whirling death blades spinning in front of me. LOL

I have 3 dado sets, well technically two, and a Box Joint set (Which is basically a dado set). I also have routers more than powerful enough to do dado work, and they do on occasion.
    Both methods have their pro's and con's, but I can't see cutting dados with a router as being faster than with a table saw if you have a lot of them to do.
    I'd keep the dado set personally.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I use a stack dado set. An 8" Freud Super Dado set.

I prefer to use the table saw to cut slots and only use a router/strait edge clamp if the piece wont fit on my table saw.

PHM

I own a stack dado set (Delta) but I prefer to use a router to cut dados. I like the finished quality of the router cut groove.

But there's nothing wrong with the stack dado. The stack dado does look pretty nasty/aggressive in the saw when it's spinning, but if anything, it's inspiration to be extra careful.

It's really 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. They both do a good job. I simply tend to think of the router table most often for that task.

Blog Entries
    I voted for a stack since I have a couple. If the saw that I had at the time of the purchase would have supported the dial-a-width SD-608 I would have gotten that. As it is I just adjust my technique. I put a dado blade that is a bit smaller than the width I am after, make a pass, adjust the fence using my digital readout fence and make another pass to finish the cut. If I had the dial-a-width, it would reduce the fine tuning to the point where I would make single pass cuts. For large shootgoods panels I use a router since the small router base follows the irregularities of the ply better than trying to force the ply down onto the tablesaw. YMMV.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-14-2014 at 7:54 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I mostly use the dado stack, but have the dial a dado and use it every so often. I also have the wobbler that I got from my father, though don't recall ever using it. I will also use a router at times.

I typically use a router for dados but there are other applications for a dado stack. For example, I sometimes cut tenons using one.

Keith, I have an FS Tools stacked dado head, I also have grooving cutters.

I'll either use them in the saw with the stock feeder, or on the shaper with the stock feeder. (My saw and shaper have 30mm spindles which is great for sharing tooling).

Don't own a router, aside from a wood E.C. Emmerich one, and a PC laminate trimmer that's been used 3 times............Rod.

Didn't vote because there is no "both". I have a panel router that gets the nod for most case construction but also use dados when that seems to be the tool of choice.

Larry

Blog Entries
    I cut dados on my TS, but always use a zero clearance insert to prevent tear out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Most of the time I'm cutting dados I'm using baltic birch plywood, so I prefer the stack with shims to a router. Never liked cutting dados with a router, but that's just my preference.

I use the stacked dado set unless the piece is to wide to handle safely on the TS then I use a router.

George