Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw question: Aluminum wheels or Cast Iron

Bandsaw question: Aluminum wheels or Cast Iron

I'm looking at the Grizzly 555 series & wondered what the differences in wheels (aluminum vs. iron) are.
    Any info pros or cons on either one would be greatly appreciated

Most folks feel the cast iron wheels are stronger, but there are plenty of saws out there with aluminum wheels. I don't buy into the claim that cast iron wheels improve the power. Cast iron does however extend the startup and shutdown time. I have a 17" Grizzly with aluminum wheels at home and use a 19" Grizzly with cast iron wheels at work. I don't see any real difference in usability.

John

The main determinant of wheter the saw is a good one, is how much engineering, fabrication and quality control went into it, rather than what the wheels are made of.

There are very good saws with cast iron wheels, very good saws with aluminum wheels, and the majority of bandsaws seem to be pieces of junk with any assortment of parts built to the lowest price.............Rod.

CI wheels all the way. They act as flywheels and store more energy than aluminum wheels of the same size. If you are cutting 3/4" material this may not be a big deal but if you are resawing it is a huge deal. CI all the way.

Chris, the stored energy will be consumed in seconds, once you're a few seconds into the cut, the motor has to provide 100% of the power, so yes for a punch press the storage of the energy is helpful, not much though when making a minute long cut.........Rod.

That's not quite true, Rod. The real advantage of the cast iron is it damps the small speed oscillations due to inconsistent feed and material, even in a minute long cut. If I had a choice, all things being equal, I think the heavier the better.

This

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    That's not quite true, Rod. The real advantage of the cast iron is it damps the small speed oscillations due to inconsistent feed and material, even in a minute long cut. If I had a choice, all things being equal, I think the heavier the better.
    Yes and anyone who has resawn alot with both aluminum and CI wheels would agree.

Well Chris, I would disagree, I've used old large bandsaws with aluminum wheels and found they cut just as well as the cast iron ones...........Rod.

Cast iron wheels on steel frame saws. Aluminum- at least on top- on the old cast iron frame saws. Dave

More mass equals more inertia, plain and simple. Greater inertia means more consistent velocity. Cast iron wheels wIth their greater velocity create a stronger buffer between the material and the motor. Imagine swinging a 20oz hammer versus a kitchen ladle. Same motor, but one will go through a cinder block and one won't.

I'm with Rod, I'd invest in a larger motor before cast iron wheels

Read the OP's post

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Well Chris, I would disagree, I've used old large bandsaws with aluminum wheels and found they cut just as well as the cast iron ones...........Rod.
    He's asking about a 14" bandsaw Rod, not a "large old bandsaw". It's simple physics. He also didn't ask if he should get CI wheels or a larger motor. He asked if CI wheels would be better than aluminum wheels on a 14" BS and the answer is yes.

By all means anyone who wants a BS would do well to get as large a motor as they can afford and as big a saw as they can manage. On that saw they will be better served with CI wheels.
    Last edited by Chris Fournier; 02-15-2014 at 2:58 AM.

I'm with the CI folks on this one.
    All things being equal, I'd rather have CI wheels, than aluminum.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I don't know nothing about the physics and I can't back my opinion with #'s or quots from Shakespere but I have a Delta/Mil 14" with cast aluminum wheels,and PM 141 w/CI I have to say there is a big difference between which one sounds solid and cuts solid,awhole lot less vibration.Is it due to the wheels only,no but it helps,if one saw is cheaper cause of the wheels then other then there is a reason.Now,the aluminum wheels may already have a crown built into them and the CI ones may not,that also another area to check into.What ever you pick post some pics love looking at old and new machines----Carroll

>>>> Cast iron does however extend the startup and shutdown time.

That's because the cast iron wheels are heavier and have more mass therefore have more inertia. It also requires more power to bring them up to speed.
    Howie.........