Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smaller diameter blades have less saw marks?

Smaller diameter blades have less saw marks?

With all else being equal, wouldn't smaller diameter blades show less saw kerfs in a cut? Seems like the larger the diameter the more runout and vibration, would this be true in most cases?

I'm considering ordering a 10" blade instead of a 12" blade for my DeWalt GP Radial. The saw has PLENTY of power to use the 12" blade but I'm guessing I'd have a cleaner cut with a smaller diameter.

My 7790 12" leaves a polished edge on oak..hardly ever see a line unless the wood had a slight bow to it, and wasn't perfect with the fence, then it burns a bit, but that is operator error, not the blade. Also, a 12" will last longer. My blade is 100 teeth, for crosscut only.

If it does not cut clean, recheck your adjustments.
    Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    If you have a proper hook angle on the blade, it should not make much difference. My Forrest blades don't leave marks.

10" blades have a 5/8" arbor. I'm guessing your 12" saw has a 1" arbor.

John

If the blade is full kerf and well made, I doubt there is much difference in cut quality. My GR spins a 14" blade, the cut looks like it were sanded with a sharp blade. I've found with thin kerf blades a 10" seems to cut cleaner than a 12" all else being equal but those are very thin kerf plates, even less than a tk TS blade.

IF all else is equal, there's likely less chance of deflection from a 10" blade, but if the 12" blade has sufficient body thickness, tensioning, and good design, it shouldn't be an issue. I tend to recommend against a 12" thin kerf blade due to the increased span, but a good full kerf blade should be fine.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

John,

I think you will find that most 12" RAS use a 5/8" arbor. I assume this is to enable standard dado sets to be used. It also allows use of a smaller blade, if desired. My 12" DeWalt has a 5/8" arbor, and I use a bushing in the blade.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Sorenson View Post
    With all else being equal.
    With "all else being equal", technically, yes. That said...

This assumes things like:
    * the blades being made to the same tolerances (and how much they exceed them), which may or may not be true
    * that the runout on the motors are identical.

I'd expect to see a larger variance between brands than between sizes, although I'd also expect some amount (since it's almost guaranteed not to be precisely zero) of difference in the resulting runout.

Whether or not it's noticable depends.

This is the same reason why "everything else being equal" a non-slider will cut truer than a slider, because there's one less range of motion.

In my experience, with a good saw (I have a Bosch Glide) and a top quality blade (mine is the 12" Forrest Chopmaster Signature Series) I get a cut like glass. Of course that's also a $170 blade in a $725 saw that I've taken the time to carefully tune to optimize its cut.

While there are likely individual units for which this may not be true, you generally get what you pay for (or at least not more than you pay for). <g>

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    John,

I think you will find that most 12" RAS use a 5/8" arbor. I assume this is to enable standard dado sets to be used. It also allows use of a smaller blade, if desired. My 12" DeWalt has a 5/8" arbor, and I use a bushing in the blade.

Rick Potter
    You talkin to me?

Straighten me out. When I was table saw shopping, 12" saws had 1" arbors,so I found a 10" saw so I wouldn't have to buy new blades and dado set. Is that just true on table saws, not radial arm saws and miter saws?

John

John,

No expert here. I can only speak from my experience, but I had for a short time, a delta 12" turret 33-890 RAS, which had a 58" arbor, and my current 12" DeWalt 7790 is also a 5/8" arbor.

My miter saw is a 12" DeWalt, and it takes a 1" arbor. I use the same blade on my RAS with a bushing, which is very common. I believe RAS arbors go to one inch on 14" saws.

All the 12" table saws I have seen have, as you say, a 1" arbor.

Now the following is all assumption on my part. Take it for what it's worth:

Many 12" RAS's have a 'Contractor' label on them. In the old days when they sold the DeWalt's as portable saws to contractors, and the standard on site table saw was a real 'contractor saw', I would assume that builders would have bought a 12" RAS over a 10, because it would cut a 4X. If they burned up a blade (carbide was rare), being able to slap on a table saw 10" blade to their 12" RAS would be a plus for them since they would have several 10" on the truck. Not too many chop saws around in those days either. Ever see one of those old Comet trailer mounted RAS's? Monsters.

RP

Thanks, Rick! This also answers a question I had asked in another thread regarding a 12" Delta turret saw with a 5/8 arbor.

John

larger blades cut cleaner and do it longer. if all thing are equal than a larger blade has a thicker plate larger teeth. The reason bigger blades cut cleaner is the rim speed is much faster and there fore you get more cut per inch with the same feed rate. coming from a thin kerf 10"blade to what is commonly refers to as a 10" full kerf blade (1/8") might feel like this is a big jump for those that have not used industrial quality saw blades. to me the 10" full kerf look small compared to my 18" table saw blade for the Wadkin PK that cuts a glass finish and takes about 6 months to dull.

10" full kerf blade with a 18" FS TOOL saw blade for the wadkin Table saw.

jack
    English machines

As the blade gets larger the guy who sharpens them become more important. People who know how to grind and how to flatten the plate make all the difference. I run 14" most of the time as it is the size I prefer. A good saw with the arbor ground to have no runout helps too. Dave

In my experience doing precision miters on relatively cheap chop saws, I found that using a 10" blade on a 12" saw gave a better cut. They were DeWalt saws that used a bushing to go from 5/8" to 1", so it was easy to experiment. This probably had more to do with the arbor tolerances than the blades. The 10" Chopmaster did better than the 12" Chopmaster.
    JR

I know a number of top quality cabinet makers who use a 7 1/4" high tooth count blade for crosscutting. They claim that they get a cleaner crosscut with the smaller blade. They use a standard 10" rip blade for ripping.
    Howie.........