Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lumber Source in the MD, VA, PA, and WV area

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    Larry and Jay,
    There used to be a place called Maryland Select Hardwoods over in Nanjemoy, although the address says it's LaPlata. I've only been there a couple times, but they were reasonable and had a good selection. If they are still there, (still shows up on woodfinder.com) check them out.

Dave
    Bringing up a very old thread, but MD Select is Alive and well. I drive up from Great Mills on occaision to buy wood there. The prices are very reasonable and he has a monthly email with specials. No plywood just a great selection of local and imported woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Williams View Post
    I have been to Vienna Hardwoods.
    http://www.viennahardwood.com/products.html
    They are smaller but have a good selection at a fair price.

I am from NC and there seems to be a lot more wood options there then here in N.VA. So please post all the wood shops around this area as I like to have options.

I've been going to Northland Forest Products in Manassas for many years. The prices are the greatest, but they have a decent selection.

I have purchased from Vienna Hardwoods for over 30 years - great selection with the only problem trying to get some of the wood out. Small shop with tons of inventory! Having moved further south, I also shop at Maryland Select - not the selection VH has as far as types of wood, but slightly better pricing and a large shed so it is much easier to get to the wood.

Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield, VA has excellent product, but also prices to match.

I used to go to Hobby Woods on Eastern Ave. in Baltimore. I don't know if they are still there.

Twenty years ago was probably about the last time I was there. maybe 25.

The name belies the great selection of lumber they have there. I bought large boxwood for the lute I made in 1970 there that some of you may see at George Wilson guitar maker. The boxwood was 2" thick.

They also had mahogany and all kinds of hardwoods.

Another one a bit farther south: Transit Lumber in Richmond, VA.

http://transitlumber.com/

I've frequented the spots mentioned and can add Rick Herbine out near Lucketts, VA north of Leesburg on Rt 15.

He mills for the local Woodcraft and Exotic HW of Rockville

http://herbinehardwood.com/

Free State Timbers - Timonium, Maryland

Try Free State Timbers, in Timonium, Maryland. Run by Josh Nozick and Ed Slater, great guys to deal with; they carry domestic and exotic hardwoods, plywood, and veneer.

http://www.freestatetimbers.com/index.html

Do y'all know about woodfinder.com? You just plug in your zip code and how far you want to drive, and it finds sources in your area... good hunting, Steve

Has anyone been to Hicksville Planing Mill, located out past Hagerstown, MD recently. I have been reading about them in the forums, and I try to call but no answer, which is expected. It is about a 3hr. drive for me and I am looking for clear Walnut, probably around 400 b/ft. Also, if anyone has any info on pricing. thanks.

Boy, this is timely! I'm moving to Annapolis at the end of the week and plan to set up shop as soon as money allows.

@ Steve Blythe: WoodFinder is really helpful, but a personal recommendation can be even better. I've followed WoodFinder's advice to some really hostile lumber yards that have ZERO interest in small-volume hobbyists like me. Call first, I guess.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers --
    joined in the serious business of keeping our food,
    shelter, clothing and loved ones from combining
    with oxygen.
    -- Kurt Vonnegut

Just visit two month ago. Same place, nice people. Most recent price list -Price list Hicksville planing mill.jpg

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fairfax View Post
    Has anyone been to Hicksville Planing Mill, located out past Hagerstown, MD recently. I have been reading about them in the forums, and I try to call but no answer, which is expected. It is about a 3hr. drive for me and I am looking for clear Walnut, probably around 400 b/ft. Also, if anyone has any info on pricing. thanks.

Hicksville Mill, as good, if not better, than advertised!

Just got back from a visit to Hicksville Planing Mill.
    Picked up some cherry & Padauk, the prices are fan-freakin-tastic!
    It is just as awesome as described!
    I attached to current price list as of today.
    cropped_prices_1.jpgcropped_prices_2.jpg

Thanks for posting!

Wow. Are they cash only or what? It's 3hrs, but might be worth the trip.

Cash or Check

They are awesome to work with and very friendly.

I forgot to mention and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if you want the lumber "dressed" (as they call it at the mill)
    they will run it through the planer and straight edge one side for you. They didnt charge for this, not sure if that's always or because I only
    bought a few boards.
    Last edited by Jon Wilson; 01-27-2014 at 2:39 PM.