Thread: Use of a "Float" To smooth a board

Use of a "Float" To smooth a board

In an article I am reading about smoothing tenons it mentions the use of a shoulder plane, a rasp and a float. I would appreciate it if someone could tell me where to find out what a "float" is in this context. It is not a tool that I have heard of before.

Thanks

I like the Japanese floats. A float leaves a smoother surface than a rasp, or what is normally called a wood file even. "Plane Floats" are used to smooth the inside of wooden planes. The Japanese floats, as sold by Lee Valley, and a bunch of others are sharp to start with, and do an amazing job. I recently used them to fit hundreds of tenons on a sash job. A float leaves a finished surface. You can see them in the picture with the hand tools on my Windows page.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 02-17-2014 at 6:14 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    John - thanks for the link. That helps me know and see what this tool is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I like the Japanese floats. A float leaves a smoother surface than a rasp, or what is normally called a wood file even. "Plane Floats" are used to smooth the inside of wooden planes. The Japanese floats, as sold by Lee Valley, and a bunch of others are sharp to start with, and do an amazing job. I recently used them to fit hundreds of tenons on a sash job. A float leaves a finished surface. You can see them in the picture with the hand tools on my Windows page.
    Tom:

Thanks for the explanation. I will have to look into the Lee Valley offerings.

I have a large float that was intended for patternmakers.

It's like having a surface planer, without the power cord.
    The problem with these tools is that there's no depth control.

If you lay into one, it can leave an irreparable mark.
    DAMHIKT

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post

These things are absolutely boffo, especially for quick adjustments on tenons. I have a face float and a cheek float. Took a few minutes to sharpen mine when I first got them, but is a great tool, IMO.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Iwasaki files are nice and fairly priced. Unless you're making planes I'd go with the Iwasaki files. Even the coarsest ones deliver a fine and consistent cut without the tearing you'd normally get with a rasp (I have Nicolson patternmaker's rasps, which are fine tools but lame compared to Ariou I surmise). Iwasaki files are the best bang for the buck I've found and they get me out of a lot of trouble messing around with carving tools. They are way preferable for trimming tenon cheeks to a chisel, imo.