Thread: Dust collector motor mounted on wall

Dust collector motor mounted on wall

Does anyone see an issue with mounting my typical 2HP Shop Fox bag style dust collector motor on a wall instead of a base?

Basically, what I want to do is wall mount the motor so the intake is pointing straight up, motor pointing down, and the output to the bag is perpendicular.

I am not doing this for any sort of airflow improvement, but more for aesthetics, and I want to make the dust collector permanent location permanent, but it does allow me to remove a 90 degree elbow by pointing the intake up.

The area of the garage where the DC sits, has a sloped floor (towards the drain), and the DC sits unlevel. I want to build a base for the bags that is level, and mount the motor to the wall as described above.

THX

JJ in Pittsburgh

It could be very dangerous - it depends on how your impeller is affixed to the shaft of the motor. A simple set screw from the side may come loose and allow the impeller to drop. There are some blowers with a much more secure mount (like a bolt into the shaft of the motor axis, or through pins).

I have mine mounted to the wall, sideways as the manufacturer intended, and it's been fine there.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Consider adding rubber mounts or isolating mounts to keep the motor noise from potentially resonating throughout the shop.

Lornie

I mounted mine to the wall with the inlet pointing down and the outlet going through the wall to the outside. Under it, I have a 55 gal barrel with the ventury elbows on top. All the big stuff falls into the barrel and the dust goes outside. I have not had any problems.
    Do or do not, there is no try.