Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else ever wonder this?

Anybody else ever wonder this?

Why contractors use torx security screws, (you know the ones with the little protrusion inside), in public restrooms.
    I've noticed that most of the partitions in men's restrooms have these. What...are they afraid someones going to steal them!

Just my dumb curiosity I guess.

joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I've not seen Torx screws so much as one-way screws. The have raised ridges diagonally from each other so that they can be turned to the right to tighten, but not turned to the left and loosened.

My dad used to sell contract hardware like doors, locks, toilet partitions, etc. The main reason is to reduce vandalism. Kids will remove toilet partition doors and walls just to inconvenience folks thinking it's "funny."

41Y75n8Pr7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Aren't the tools to remove security torx screws sold at pretty much every hardware store? Security that can be defeated that easily isn't much for security.

This is almost as silly as the Indak keys used on lots of power equipment. The same key that is used on a $500 snowblower and a $1500 lawn tractor is also used on $20,000 Toro commercial riding mowers. I worked at a place that would park the riding mowers outdoors for part of the year where anybody with a generic Indak key could drive off with them.

Blog Entries
    Vandals are mindless zombies that are on a constant search for really stupid things to do
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Reminds me of a "wet paint" or,"please don't touch" sign....just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    The main reason is to reduce vandalism. Kids will remove toilet partition doors and walls just to inconvenience folks thinking it's "funny."
    I owned a couple restaurants in a previous attempt at capitalism that I'd rather forget. Charles nailed it. BTW, you'd be shocked to know how old some of those idiot "kids" were.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Aren't the tools to remove security torx screws sold at pretty much every hardware store? Security that can be defeated that easily isn't much for security.
    most people wont bother if they have to take a tool with them
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post

This is almost as silly as the Indak keys used on lots of power equipment. The same key that is used on a $500 snowblower and a $1500 lawn tractor is also used on $20,000 Toro commercial riding mowers. I worked at a place that would park the riding mowers outdoors for part of the year where anybody with a generic Indak key could drive off with them.
    Also a $100,000 backhoe or dozer

The average zombie vandal is an opportunist, they are unlikely to carry anything with them past a cheap copy of a swiss army knife with it's attached chocolate screwdrivers. If their mighty IQ (of around 50) doesn't get a result in under 5 seconds they will lose interest and move on.

Safety screws buy time, they aren't designed top dissuade the professional scumbag.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

I'll tell you why. For several years, I worked on a project that lived out at Edwards Air Force Base (EAFB). Well, there's little part of EAFB where we test all sorts of whacky things called the Birk Test Flight Facility. It's not Fort Knox, but you don't get in to EAFB unless you have a reason to be there, and you don't get into Birk unless you have a reason to get THERE. It's a very serious place, you don't screw around, you mind your own business and you do your thing.

One day, I walked into the men's room and someone had shoved about 4 rolls of toilet paper in a toilet, pulled the handle a few times and flooded it. Absolutely juvenile thing to do and completely shocking to me. I just couldn't believe that someone at this level could be so incredibly immature, but it doesn't matter where you are. There is always some idiot that's going to flood a toilet, there's always some idiot that's going to loosen the top on a salt shaker, and there's always some idiot that's going to take apart a men's room stall.

Why? What the heck do I know why? We all start out with a head full of mush, and some of us never ripen I guess.

Its called job security, plain and simple. WHo has ever seen a vandalized public restroom anyway?

Thanks Guys for enlightening me. I've seen plenty of filthy ones but I had no idea there was so much vandalism in public restrooms.

Thanks for your responses.

joe
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Its called job security, plain and simple. WHo has ever seen a vandalized public restroom anyway?
    Seen plenty of them, in point of fact.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    about every dive bar lol
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Also a $100,000 backhoe or dozer
    And all John Deere tractors and combines.