Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Transporting a Large Drill Press

Thoughts on Transporting a Large Drill Press

I may have an opportunity to purchase a Powermatic 1150 drill press for a very nice price. The issue is that I will need to pick it up and transport it about 100 miles in my F-150 pick-up truck. By the research I've done it looks like the weight is between 300 and 400 pounds and I'm sure its very top heavy as most drill presses are. I'm curious if there are any words of wisdom or advice on the best method for (a) getting the hunk of iron into my truck and (b) keeping it protected and secure during transport. I'll have the help of at least 1 other person, maybe 2.

Thanks,
    Tom

Take the power unit off of the stand. Should be no problem after that.

Take an old blanket along. With the tailgate down and the blanket laid out on the tailgate and up into the bed, tip the drill press on its left side so the head will rest on the tailgate and blanket. With one person pulling on the blanket, lift the base of the drill press up and push it in.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Take the power unit off of the stand. Should be no problem after that.
    What he said.....

Larry

I just got back from a 300 mile round trip today picking up a PM 1200. Definitely lay it down in the back of the truck. Take some 2x4s to block up parts you don't want to lay on the bed.

Three to four hundred pounds! Those things must be built like a tank. Like others have said, breaking it down is the best bet. In college I used to haul bags of mulch inside an old Honda Civic hatchback. You definitely should have an easier time with an F-150.

If you want to haul it laying down, take some blankets, as mentioned above, preferably furniture blankets. Also, take some vehicle tires (off the rims), to lay it on. They are great for cushioning heavy, awkward shaped items, and will keep things from moving around, rolling, etc.

Last November I bought a vintage Delta 17" drill press. The seller grabbed it by the head and rock-walked it over to my pickup by himself. Placing a big piece of cardboard on the tailgate, he faced the DP toward the truck, adjusted the table to about the middle so it would balance, locked the table, then tipped the DP over so the front edge of the table contacted the cardboard on the tailgate. Then I pulled the head and he lifted the base off the ground and we pivoted it forward and down so it was horizontal, head facing the front of the truck and base hanging out over thin air. We then slid it forward on the cardboard onto the pickup bed and tied it down. I think he could have done it all by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shaftel View Post
    Last November I bought a vintage Delta 17" drill press. The seller grabbed it by the head and rock-walked it over to my pickup by himself. Placing a big piece of cardboard on the tailgate, he faced the DP toward the truck, adjusted the table to about the middle so it would balance, locked the table, then tipped the DP over so the front edge of the table contacted the cardboard on the tailgate. Then I pulled the head and he lifted the base off the ground and we pivoted it forward and down so it was horizontal, head facing the front of the truck and base hanging out over thin air. We then slid it forward on the cardboard onto the pickup bed and tied it down. I think he could have done it all by himself.
    large drill presses are fairly easy if you follow the above directions . Just be careful not to lean it too far over as you walk it around & yer fine
    card board & mover blankets are yer friends , even an old carpet works well .
    yoour way ahead of the game with a P/U , the bed height works to an advantage
    I have mine sitting on a large HF dolly ATM while a remodel of my garage is happening
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

10. I bought a Wilton A5816VS that weighed over 400lbs and just laid it on it's side in the back of my pickup and it didn't move one bit on the way home.
    IMG_20130703_170927.jpg

As posted above......

Some 2x4's,a sharp handsaw,and a screwgun are std. iron fetching equipment.Along with some good leather gloves,a pinchbar and the always present mini-maglite.Have fun and don't scratch the tailgate,haha.

Tied down properly it will travel standing up. I have recently moved a 18" bandsaw standing up with no issues. I guess if you are not familiar with proper techniques to tie it vertically then lay it down.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Lots of good thoughts here. I can't imagine transporting this thing upright going up I-95?!? It seems that laying in flat in the bed with some decent cushioning/blocking/tie-downs is as good a strategy as any. I'm going to have to move it 150 feet down a sidewalk to get it to the parking lot -- I'm hoping that we can rock it up on a furniture dolly and just roll it.

If I do end up having to remove the head for some reason, I'm assuming that's relatively straightforward? A couple allen bolts holding it to the column, as is typical with most drill presses?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Lots of good thoughts here. I can't imagine transporting this thing upright going up I-95?!? It seems that laying in flat in the bed with some decent cushioning/blocking/tie-downs is as good a strategy as any. I'm going to have to move it 150 feet down a sidewalk to get it to the parking lot -- I'm hoping that we can rock it up on a furniture dolly and just roll it.

If I do end up having to remove the head for some reason, I'm assuming that's relatively straightforward? A couple allen bolts holding it to the column, as is typical with most drill presses?
    You don't have to imagine it at all….check out the similarly titled thread on OWWM with pics included and you can see how someone did one yesterday

JeffD

I bought and moved a PM 1150 last year. The head will slide down the shaft for removal (I used the table raising crank to carefully lower)....the head is heavy and I needed some help to get that in and out of my truck, but the head, table and base are easily removed from the shaft. I used a hand truck to get all the parts in my basement where I rebuilt the drill press. Other than getting the head in and out of my truck, I moved everything by myself. I replaced the 3phase motor with a single phase and rebuilt and repainted....works great.....a real beast. bob