Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After 2 years of looking......

After 2 years of looking......

I finally brought home a PM1200. What have I done????? This thing is a beast. I had to remove the 600lb beast from the truck in 150lb chunks. I'm not sure how I am going to get it back together.. It is a 1983, 1.5hp single phase dp. No arc of shame. Not a u suck price for a lot of people on the east coast but I think it was fair for the west coast. I was looking for something a little older in the pea green era and 3 phase but since they don't come up very often I think I will be happy.

Very nice! I would love to have one of those.

John

I would sure like to find one of these. Two years, really? Nice gloat Cary!

You're happy, so what's not to like- it's a "U- suck" selfie.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

The money is regional.

Very cool DP,those big production tables(tee slots)are "fab",haha.You're going to love it.We have a big W/T 20 and it takes about a small to medium sized pan(8x8) to store all the tee nuts and various hold-downs in.Keep a sharp eye out for an 8" Heinrich quick-vise.It pairs up perfectly for these in the woodshop......and not too shaby for quicky metal working.A "smallish" milling machine vise would be an asset if drilling a lot of metal.Ours has a nice open style cabinet that lives under the table.It houses quite a few fixtures,angle plates,etc.I swipe rectangle cookie sheets from kitchen....these sit on the lower cabs shelves.Makes occasional cleaning a snap.

Getting a "you suck" price is always a nice treat, but I never mind paying someone what a machines worth if I need it. Sometimes guys get too caught up in the race to get the cheapest machine. I've seen this phenomenon where guys will actually take the lesser of 2 machines b/c they got a better "deal", instead of paying a bit more for the significantly better quality machine? That is a good quality machine, and in my mind taking possession of it in itself entitles you to at least one…..You Suck!

Now as for getting it back together that depends on what you have available to you? In my shop I think I'd remove the base first to make it easier to insert the column into the head. Once that was secured re-attach the base. Having done that I'd likely use a chain fall to right the machine as nobody answers the phone anymore when I look for help

good luck,
    Jeffd

[QUOTE=Rich Greinert;2228963]Two years, really?QUOTE]

Yes. I have been looking at 2 different auction sites and CL. There were a few that showed up but they all went/wanted more money than I wanted to spend. I guess I had competition from Thomas Hotchkin. I heard in another thread that he "stole" one off of CL recently without me knowing about it.

[QUOTE=Cary Falk;2229171]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Greinert View Post
    Two years, really?QUOTE]

Yes. I have been looking at 2 different auction sites and CL. There were a few that showed up but they all went/wanted more money than I wanted to spend. I guess I had competition from Thomas Hotchkin. I heard in another thread that he "stole" one off of CL recently without me knowing about it.
    Cary,
    So sorry that I picked up my Powermatic 1200 with out you seeing me do it. : ) Just got it finished up, and is it a sweet machine. Thanks for being off line when I snatched it up!

2014-02-10 10.16.52.jpg
    Last edited by Thomas Hotchkin; 02-21-2014 at 3:54 PM.

Cary
    You are going to love this Drill Press. There is 9 ball bearing in my PM 1200, Accurate Bearings had them in stock. A good Reeve drive belt is going to be $$$. Enjoy the rebuild. Tom

That is the vintage I was looking for. I am guessing it is similar to the Unisaw and not much changed over the years except looks. You did a great job. I don't really care for the gold. I will likely go with something non pm. My belts look to be in good shape. I will probably change the bearings. The restore is somewhere down on the list.

Cary
    From OWWM it is a 1965 machine. It had the factory belts on it, I just thought do it all right now then a little here an there. Has single phase motor 1140 rpm. Tom

Cool.

Need a "jealous" emoticon.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Cary,

That is one nice looking drill press. You can get it back together with a little ingenuity. Have you ever considered a hoist in the garage that slides on the beam? That works well. Having a drill press that can dial down to speeds for metal will greatly benefit you. The cost of the machine will soon fade with the decades of use that they bring. Great find and congratulations.

Good job! I searched about the same time and ended up with a similarly speced Delta, but I think yours is nicer.

Congrats Cary!

I love mine too!

How about that column? Goodness, 1/2" thick!

Ben