Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the 1 1/2 HP Jet 1642 under-powered?

Question Is the 1 1/2 HP Jet 1642 under-powered?

Hi Everyone!
    I'm looking for some input from the folks I trust and respect the most on woodturning topics - everyone on this forum.

So I think I'm ready to take advantage of the Woodcraft sale coming up and pull the trigger on upgrading my lathe (and bandsaw, but that's a different story). I currently have a Grizzly G0462 that has served me relatively well, but just doesn't let me do some of the things l'd like (mainly due to the reeves drive/fast RPM's, and some lack of features here and there).

My budget will allow me to go with the Jet 1642, that seems to get great reviews, here and elsewhere. Even with the sale, it's at the upper edge of my budget, considering I'll need to get some new accessories due to the difference in spindle size from my current lathe.

Here's my question. Is the 1 1/2 HP version underpowered for the swing of this lathe? I'm not worried about the small price difference between the 1 1/2 and 2 HP, I'm more worried with the cost of adding a sub panel and 220 line to my shop for the 2 HP motor.

A couple possibly helpful bits of info:
    • I don't trust my electrician skills, and will most likely wan to hire an electrician to get it done properly
    • I don't plan to go beyond the 16" swing (I know, I know...yet), but would like to be able to work on some out of balance type pieces, along with bowls and hollow forms
    • I have a very "modest" shop, and don't anticipate needing any machines other than a lathe that would require 220V in the foreseeable future.
    • I turn mainly as a hobby, and am not necessarily concerned with the power for production reasons, but for limiting any creativity with pieces I may want to try.

So, those that have either lathe, or have turned on them, do you have any advice. Would it be foolish to get the smaller motor, and use the money I'd spend for an electrician on accessories, chucks and tools instead??

Any and all insight is appreciated!!!

Dan

Well, if you are going to be doing a lot of bowl turning, and especially if you want to sell, you want the 2 hp motor and 220. If you are more interested in having fun, the 1 1/2 hp will do the job, but just not as fast. I am used to 2 and 3 hp, and 220 volt, and found the smaller Jet to be under powered for what I was used to.

robo hippy

Dan, I've turned on neither of the two lathes that you have listed, but, I do know that I'm always looking for more power. It's always nice to have power to spare, but, it's not nice to be underpowered. If I were you, I'd bite the bullet and get the two horse power and hire the electrician.
    Len

Dan, you stated that you are at the upper edge of your budget with just the lathe, and without knowing what might be involved from the electrical side of the question, I think I would investigate that issue first. It could cost quite a bit more than expected, and that would influence your decision.

I have not turned on the 1.5, but own the 1642-2. While I think the extra power is worth the cost difference, there will be quite a few added expenses to switching over to a different spindle size. The added horsepower provides production speed, but as I have said before, with the exception of larger bowls, I could turn everything I do on the Delta 46-460 I previously owned. Even at that, it is only the swing difference that would preclude me from turning larger bowls on the Delta - not the power difference. And, it was only 1hp. The same thing applies to hollowing. You can hollow anything on the 1.5hp, but you just may have to be less aggressive at times. Still, this is a hobby for you and the time difference should be minimal.

Strictly from the standpoint of creativity, the 1.5 should do all you would need to do. If the cost of upgrading the power situation doesn't crash the budget, then certainly go for the extra power. But, it is not a necessity.

I suspect some here will think I'm crazy but I have both the 1 1/2 jet and the powermatic and usually turn nothing bigger than 10 inches and can't tell the difference. As John says, from the standpoint of creativity, I don't think you can tell the difference either. Just my opinion.

I have a Powermatic and a DVR running 220 and I have a third 220 outlet and I could have got the 1642-2 but I opted for the 1.5. I can move it anywhere in the shop and use it vs having it in one place if it was 220. I have not found it underpowered for anything I have done on it. From what you have stated you will love the lathe, go for it!

1.5 is ok by me, i am a hobbist, i have the outboard stand which is in the powermatic colors not the jet, bought them the same time, did not expect the different colors

Dan, the 1.5HP 1642 will serve you well provided you don't need additional swing capacity. That was my first lathe and I really had no issues with power. I opted to get a PM3520 because I wanted additional swing capacity and I had 220 readily available in my shop.
    In the 110 volt lathes, I'd say it's the absolute best value given its substantial weight in cast iron. The beauty of it...if you ever want to sell it, you'll never have a problem and likely you'll recoup original cost as the the prices rise greater every year than inflation!
    Go for it!
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 02-21-2014 at 8:51 AM.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

NOPE..plenty..keep your tools sharp and enjoy your time at the lathe
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I faced the same questions as you regarding the 220 and went with the 1.5 hp four or five years ago and have not had any issues with lack of power. I recently started coring with the McNaughton with no problems. With poor technique, a person can bog down just about any machine. I don't think your creativity will be impacted by the lack of the .5 hp.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Dan, I have the 2 hp Jet and used it for 5 years before moving up to more power and swing. My turning club has the 1.5 hp version and for those of us used to using 2 hp and above, it is under powered. Without fail, every demonstrator that has come to our club has stalled the 1.5 Jet. All that means is that once you become used to working with more power - your style of turning can include taking some fairly aggressive cuts. Also, it is possible to stall any lathe. I have stalled my 2 hp Jet as well as my 3 hp Robust. Ask Reed - I am sure he has stalled every lathe he has used at some point! You learn to work with what you have.

So, for someone moving up from a 1 hp lathe, the 1.5 Jet would be a great step up as it is a very stable, reliable lathe.

Also, if you plan on doing any coring, you may want to lean towards the 2 hp version but remember that turning it is more about technique than brute force.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I've had the Jet 1642 1.5HP for six years or so and turned a wide variety of things (up to 15.5" bowls platters and 36" spindles). I've had no underpowered problems, even turning bowls 15"+ in diameter and ca 6" deep. If you get aggressive, you can bog down ANY lathe -- I've seen a professional turner friend bog down a PM3520 on a 12-14" bowl when he gets really aggressive. I have no regrets or reservations in using the 1.5HP Jet. If my experience is any indication, there are relatively few times you will make full use of the 16" swing, unless you are into large platters or big bowls. I have not done coring.

If you buy the new lathe, you say that you will need "some new accessories due to the difference in spindle size from my current lathe". Figure out how much those will amount to since those are the absolutely essential expenses if you are going to use the new lathe. What does that leave in your budget for the cost of adding 220 service, and the (modest) added cost of 2Hp instead of 1.5HP?

Thank you all so much for all the input already! As it stands right now, I will be getting a quote to add 220v. Not because I'm leaning that direction, but because I don't want to make a decision without all the info. And as John said, I'm probaby grossly under-estimating the total cost to do so. I tend to do that.

I'm encouraged by so many saying the 1 1/2 HP is ample for most turning. My schedule will not allow for me to be a production turner of any kind. While I wouldn't be opposed to selling some pieces here or there, it's not my main objective.

Reed - From what I gather from reading your posts throughout the years and admiring your work, when you say "If you want to sell", I'm assuming you're talking on a pretty large scale, correct? If I wanted to jump in my dad's booth at a craft show a couple times a year with a few pieces to display, that's not your definition of "turning to sell", is it?

Thanks again folks. You're an awfully helpful bunch!!

Dan

Hello. I also have the 1.5 1642. I have never turned on anything larger so my opinion will be somewhat biased.
    I turn a lot of bowls in the 12 to 13" range and I stall the lathe a lot while getting to round. Once the blank is round, for me power is then not an issue.
    Probably goes without saying but when roughing your blanks be sure to have the lathe belts set on the low side.
    I'm sure you will be more than satisfied with the 1.5. I turn almost every day for at least 5 hours and while I would love having a premium lathe, it's really hard to justify when I can do anything I want with what I have.
    Good luck with what ever you decide.
    Carl.

Dan, one thing, the 1.5 hookup needs to have a dedicate line, can not run lights, drill, or anything else on that line, or it will pop the breaker