Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Debate is over

Debate is over

There have been a few threads over the years on whether an attached or detached shop is better. I think the photo below ends the debate. I don't want to start another thread that turns into a climate change debate, but boy has this winter been long and cold.

A foot of snow and a lot of wind

IMG_20140221_181238_391.jpg
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

Duck dive...like a surfer!

It looks sad and lonely out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    It looks sad and lonely out there.
    Yeah, but that building just needs some warm lighting and a wood stove and it would scream " warm and inviting".

C'mon man, it's not like you're crossing the north pole to get there....quit making excuses and start making sawdust
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Well, I don't know ...yes, it looks mighty cold and that is a lot of snow; still that's a mighty nice looking shop and a lot of room to expand. I'm from sunny California... no snow but space is at a premium. There are trade offs in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anthony View Post
    Well, I don't know ...yes, it looks mighty cold and that is a lot of snow; still that's a mighty nice looking shop and a lot of room to expand. I'm from sunny California... no snow but space is at a premium. There are trade offs in life.
    What he said.

Blog Entries
    You're right. Debate over. Detached is definitely better. It looks wonderfully peaceful and isolated out there. A little slice of heaven away from everything else.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Please tell me there is a loader plow enabled Johnny Green, Kubby Orange, NewHi Blue, or one of the Yeller or Red cousins on site?? That should have been bought before the detached in MN. Besides you want pallet forks on a loader to get the wood and real tools in.

Debate Over
    Utility Tractor and Detached Heated
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 02-22-2014 at 6:48 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

That's the nicest looking ice fishing hut, I've ever seen.
    Lake Winnipesaukee is the nearest place around here with something so grand.

Perhaps a powered winch to provide access to that hayloft window would help?
    No shoveling required. Last I heard, iffa guywazta put up a slide, youse cen charge a mission.

Just need a little deere with snow blower.....

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTorresani View Post
    There have been a few threads over the years on whether an attached or detached shop is better. I think the photo below ends the debate. I don't want to start another thread that turns into a climate change debate, but boy has this winter been long and cold.

A foot of snow and a lot of wind

IMG_20140221_181238_391.jpg

I was recently told this has been the warmest January on record........just apparently not there.....or here.......or most of the country! My nest thermostat sent me an email recently telling me its been very cold, told me exactly how many hours my boiler has run......ouch. That I didn't need. Whats a polar vortex? My back yard in Connecticut looks similar, though probably 20 degrees warmer....a balmy 17 degrees this morning. I've always felt detached shops were preferable in every way except heat load, or cooling load depending on climate. Its the cost associated with defending the detached space, heating it, plowing it, electrifying it, that keeps those of us with attached or subterranean shops in our diminished but comfortable and affordable situations. My shop at present is a comfortable 58 degrees with no heat source. That I can live with. The original geothermal heat source.....a basement!'

Cheer up......my local weather forecast says it will be warm again by June, and most of the snow should melt by then too.

All it needs is some flower boxes to warm it up...
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

I think the your real mistake was getting snowed out and not snowed in. Picture it, a stocked bar and fridge. "Yeah, honey, I'll come fix that toilet as soon as this snow clears."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    That's the nicest looking ice fishing hut, I've ever seen
    I just sprayed coffee on my monitor
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler