Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone identify this powermatic drill press?

Can someone identify this powermatic drill press?

No idea of spec or whatever but here is some picture. Spotted it at an auction site but it has no info. Guy wants only 120 dollars for it so I want to know if this is a "get it now" deal or pass?
    1254514111-ac-6460xf8x0600x0359-m.jpg
    1254514111-ac-8632xf8x0600x0359-m.jpg

There seems to be an awful lot of rust on that quill. Makes me wonder if any amount of adjustment is ever going to get it tight and smooth at the same time. There's no way of knowing without actually seeing it, but when I see lots of rust everywhere else, I have to think there's rust elsewhere too.

I think the model is an 1100VS or an 1150.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-22-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Yea I just looked closely and it looks like the quill is stuck down... not even sure if it works at all. Probably a complete disassembly and hope all the parts are still good. But thing is I'm using a Grizzly G7943 (the 14" benchtop drill press) and it serves me well. Just wondering if this Powermatic is a much better drill press...

I think that's just how they are. That's probably just the chuck...I meant to say chuck, not quill, but there's rust everywhere you look so it's hard to tell if there will be rust on the quill too. That's what I meant to say

Are you really in Taiwan? If that is the case, finding parts might be an issue, but it looks all there and well kept...

That wouldn't last very long over here at that price. A Powermatic 1150 Variable Speed with the Production Table (bigger table) like that is about the best woodworking drill press that was ever made. Literally.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    Yea I just looked closely and it looks like the quill is stuck down... not even sure if it works at all. Probably a complete disassembly and hope all the parts are still good. But thing is I'm using a Grizzly G7943 (the 14" benchtop drill press) and it serves me well. Just wondering if this Powermatic is a much better drill press...
    Powermatic 1150 Drill Press with variable speed. Quill is not stuck down, is made that way so you can use morse taper drill bits. Even old and dirty it will out last your Grizzly G7943. Run as fast as you can with your money and buy it before someone else see it. Tom

Ok, at this price I'm going to take a gamble. I hit "buy it now" just so no one else sees it. Will contact the seller about seeing the machine in person and stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Powermatic 1150 Drill Press with variable speed. Quill is not stuck down, is made that way so you can use morse taper drill bits. Even old and dirty it will out last your Grizzly G7943. Run as fast as you can with your money and buy it before someone else see it. Tom
    +1...I paid $600 for my 1150 and thought I got a deal....rebuilt, I see them for over $1000. bob

Yup, I paid $600 for my first and it's worth every penny and more. They're not rare at all which makes them fairly easy to find info for. If it needs work you can find step by step breakdowns online that'll take you through it. There are also a fair amount of used parts available online. However from your previous descriptions of machinists rates it may be cheaper for you to fabricate anything needed than buy it and ship If you go to e-bay I'd bet just buying a column or table will run you close to $120

good luck,
    JeffD

Now I'm thinking this is probably a 1100. Note the single row of numbers on the RPM dial... the 1150 has 3 rows (but I can't be sure).

I'm not sure what the difference is but it seems the 1100 has 4" quill travel while the 1150 has 6" of quill travel, otherwise everything else is the same. It's twice the weight of my current drill press in either case... The picture provided sucks because that white cord just about covers the model/serial number plate, not sure if its intentional or he just don't know what he has. The VS will be a real upgrade for sure! No one in Taiwan really sells any VS drill press.

What is the difference between the 1100 and 1150?? Seems to have the same motor, weight, table configuration, size, etc. except for quill travel. It will be a serious upgrade to my current drill press if I end up getting it... my current one only has 3 1/4" quill travel although I am not sure if the extra quill travel is worth it since most of my drill bits aren't long enough anyways. Lets hope it won't need any tramming because my current drill press table dips down a little bit, enough to mess things up when using the Wagner Safe T Planer.

What I did with my SafeT Planer is I made a top out of MDF, got the table as close as I could, and then shimmed the top with pieces of paper until I got it right. I eventually got my drill press top properly shimmed to be dead nuts, and then I just added a piece of paper to a corner of the SafeT planer top so that only the front edge ever makes contact and it prevents the tool from grabbing. I think it even says that in the direction that I threw away Anyhow, that's how I handled my SafeT Planer. Too bad the guy doesn't make them anymore.

12. I would buy it in a heartbeat at that price. Even if it's knackered (which I doubt) the table alone could easily be resold on ebay for more than $120.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Are you really in Taiwan? If that is the case, finding parts might be an issue, but it looks all there and well kept...

That wouldn't last very long over here at that price. A Powermatic 1150 Variable Speed with the Production Table (bigger table) like that is about the best woodworking drill press that was ever made. Literally.

Ben
    That was my thought too. With all the visible rust and low price, it sets off red flags and Tai could have a boat anchor that's difficult to repair. Fingers crossed for you, Tai!

I called the guy, he says it works but the variable speed thing doesn't change speed when the thing is turned. Not sure what could possibly go wrong with that and how hard or easy is it to fix? I don't really know how the variable speed thing works anyways.

Reeves drive probably. They can break but it may be just stuck. Also the belt can stretch and the reeves drive looses speed range. My drill press has one. The press is supposed to be running when adjusting the speed.