Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what do you do with your shavings?

I just walk mine out the door and into the woods. I had been dumping them in a pile, but recently started a trail. Only problem with that, is that the cats tend to think it's a litter box.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Some go into the compost, periodically. The rest are laid down on paths around the house and in the area that I use for processing logs. It is soft underfoot and does a marvelous job of inhibiting weed growth.
    John Altberg

I bag up my clean shavings and give them to friends who do Raku style pottery firing. I only give clean domestic hardwoods-no walnut or foreign exotics or softwoods-those go in a yard debris pile down behind the pond to break down naturally.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

mine tend to build up in piles in my shop

then I drop them in my back yard area where the dogs run. I'll take the walnut and scatter it around the fenceline to try and hold back some vegetation

5. Mine end up getting used for food growth - first they go into a duck pen, then after a while the combined shaving and droppings go into a compost mix and then a raised bed planter.

Mulch. If I'm worried about toxicity (walnut) I put it in a mulch bed that doesn't have any plants, like the one outside my shop. Dust collector dust goes at the back of our property behind some trees. Great at keeping the weeds down.
    Where did I put that?

I found out that if you push them out of the back doors they make a nice walk up ramp for old knees. Drives neat freaks crazy too.