Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sliding table saw

Thanks again for the input.
    Anyone else out there with an old American iron saw want to chime in?
    Right now there's an Oliver on clist that's pretty local. I sent an email but haven't heard anything back yet. No Euro saws right now, but I check pretty regularly.
    I'll have to get back to the Felder store. Can't hurt to take a look. Famous last words, I know.
    PI

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Generally the old US iron crosscut 32-36" except for the Oliver DX or similar which were huge. Euro sliders used are cheap is you watch. SCMI WA 16, Holz her, Casadei, even Altendorf can be had in the 3-6K range.Attachment 283135Attachment 283136Whitney is old iron and the SCMI is a 10' slider. Dave
    David, thanks for the pics. That Whitney is nice! Did you restore it? Is it a tilt table or tilting arbor? I'd love to hear more about that machine.
    Thanks,
    PI

Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    I have the Grizzly G0623X and have been real happy with it, there is a smaller version G0700 which is nice too.
    I have the G0700 in a small shop and I am very happy with it.
    It dos not have a long slider but works well for cutting plywood for cabinets.
    Last edited by Al Bacon; 02-24-2014 at 8:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Incognito View Post
    David, thanks for the pics. That Whitney is nice! Did you restore it? Is it a tilt table or tilting arbor? I'd love to hear more about that machine.
    Thanks,
    PI
    Whitney 77 is a tilting arbor, made 1932. 4 hp but I can't bog it down. Crosscuts 32 but can be modified to cut 36". Table slides out 2 1/2" to allow for dados. The later models were 177 and only a handful of sliders are known ro exist. This one was going to scrap but in good condition. Have about 1000-1200 in it.DSCN2149.jpgDSCN2150.jpgDSCN2151.jpg It's mainly a furniture saw as are most old iron sliders. Not really a panel cutter. The sliding table locks easily so the saw is a traditional with a slider available. Great second saw with a larger panel saw. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Unless they closed it since I purchase a slider last year, they most certainly have a showroom. The have photographs of it in many of their pictures as well. Perhaps you should visit the place and ask to see it.
    Perhaps, I shall. I should have said "purchased a couple of years ago". Apparently, they have added the "showroom" last year (as per Johnny Means). Good to know. There is nothing like seeing the machinery in real, touching, walking around to see in greater detail before making an informed decision.

Hi Paul, I bought a Hammer B3 Winner with outrigger for my small basement shop.

It has a 49 inch crosscut capacity, with scoring saw and dado capability.

The outrigger removes in about 2 minutes without tools, making it a compact saw when I'm not using it to break down sheet goods or saw panels.

You will be best served by a small Euro slider, have a look at the various manufacturers.

Since you live not far from Felder, that would be a no brainer for me.

I've owned my saw/shaper for 4 years now, and would never go back to a cabinet saw ( I had a General 650).

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    SCMI made a 60" or close slider- SI 12 that was a nice machine. They seem to go for 2500-3500 now. Griggio made a similar machine. A table that can crosscut 60x60 baltic birch is pretty handy. Dave
    I have one of these in (SI-12) my shop and you are correct, it is indeed a nice machine. There are times - somewhat infrequently, but sometimes - when I would like to have a longer slide capacity but I don't have the room. If you are looking for a very beefy slider but don't have the room for one of the 10' ones I recommend looking for one of these. Mine has a scoring attachment (which I don't use much) and can accept a dado. We are not far away (I am in Chester County PA) so you are welcome to come out and have a look at it in action if you like. PM me if interested. I came out of a Unisaw and at this point it would be hard for me to return to a cabinet saw.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Paul, you said that you can't afford new, which is fine, but what is your actual budget? Just curious. Suggestions here are all over the board, price-wise, and often, refurbing an old machine will end up costing you more then buying new. I think that would help narrow your decision down.

Best,

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Have you considered an add on slider to your tablesaw.I have an excalibur sliding table added to my unisaw .Its dead on accurate and can 45* a sheet of plywood .Has 60" crosscut cap.

I could wait for the rest of my life for a slider to come up for sale close enough to drive and pick it up. And traveling across a couple states runs into money as well. So I would just bite the bullet and get a new one. On sale of course. All my machines have been bought on end of year sales. Except for the drill press I picked up used. Where I live, 12" jointers, table saws with 48" rip capacity, wide belt sanders and such just are not for sale often. Let alone a MM16. The nearest I have seen one of those was about 4 hours away and on an auction. Heard it brought near new price.

11. You could look for an older Roband style combo table saw/shaper. The machines were certainly built to hit a reasonable price point and are not as nice as modern format sliders but they still work. I think they will do a 4' crosscut.

Rod, I'm going to stop in at Felder the next chance I get, hopefully this week. I think anything new is going to be out of my price range though.

Eric, I'm looking to spend no more than $3,000 on the saw. I've seen a few on clist for around that. In fact, there's a couple of old iron saws right now for around $2500.

Frank, That's an option that I considered, but with the way my shop is arranged, it doesn't really work for me. And I'd want to get a new fence, too. The one on my saw doesn't come off the rails, and is in the way for any long cross cuts. The slider would live in a different part of the shop where there's more room.

Jim, I haven't had any trouble finding used equipment here. I've equipped mostly my whole shop from craigslist and the classifieds on forums like this. In fact, my jointer and table saw came from Creekers.

Larry, Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. I'm going to look at an Oliver and Greenlee this weekend. They're a couple hours from me. Hopefully I'm not wasting my time.
    I don't see Euro machines come up as often, but I have seen them. Maybe I just need to be more patient.

Thanks again for all the feedback. It's been very helpful.

Paul

David, Thanks for the info on the Whitney. It's a really nice looking saw. I understand what you mean about it being a furniture saw and not a panel saw. I think thet's true of all the old iron sliders. But there's something about them that just draws me in.

And I just did a quick search for the SCMI SI-12 and found a youtube video. That's a really nice saw.

Paul

Oliver should be a 270, 260, or 88 if sliders. greenlee would be a 495s. Greenlee are pretty rare and if in good condition they are very well thought of. Very heavy castings. Dave

Paul

I see one of these come up once in a while cheap. Just saw one go on Craigs list for $1800.

minimax-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypag e_bs.tpl&product_id=220&category_id=3&option=com_v irtuemart&Itemid=35

I have one that is about twenty years old that I bought new and have worked hard. It has paid for itself many many times over and has been flawless, just burnt out the first bearing, but I was sawing at -10 degrees, my fault.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-25-2014 at 9:53 PM.