Thread: Oneway 1224 - should I bolt it down?

Oneway 1224 - should I bolt it down?

My last lathe was extremely heavy and I never felt the need of bolting it to the floor. The Oneway 1224 is a great little lathe and I love it, but vibrates a bit much for me. I was wondering if anyone has bolted it to the floor and if so how much it actually reduced the vibration? Will it make much of a difference? I'm not doing huge stuff on it.

Jim,
    I have 2, neither bolted down. If all 4 feet are not making equal contact with the floor it will vibrate. Of course if you are turning out of balance pieces it will vibrate regardless.

I am the odd person out in this arena, but I bolt my lathes to the wall. Why? because the head is closest to the wall, not the floor. If to the floor, you have 30+ inches to vibrate to the head. If the lathe is bolted to a wall closer to the head, well there is less to vibrate.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

John - you were right in that one foot was not making complete contact with the floor; fixing this helped considerably. But I think I will still go ahead and bolt it down to the floor. At the start, I was not turning a very big piece when I had considerable vibration. The only off-center part was the screw portion of a hose clamp, and at about 2000RPM it didn't take much to set it vibrating. The vibration disappeared completely when I adjusted one foot to make good contact. Bolting it down should increase stability a bit more.
    Michelle - bolting to the wall is a novel idea! Where it is located may be difficult to do that, but if simply bolting it to the floor does not do it for me I may consider doing that too somehow. Belts and suspenders....

Jim, I have my 1224 bolted to the floor. I removed the leveling screws and used 1/4 inch thick rubber washers under the feet. Make sure it sets level on the floor.

Thanks Dale; I plan to do this for sure. Did you notice a substantial difference after bolting it down?

Jim, I bolted it down before I turned anything on it. It's runs very quite and smooth now, however, I haven't turned anything that is really out-of-balance.

How do you like the 1224?

8. Different lathe but I minimized some vibration by by bolting and using hockey pucks as spacers between legs and floor.
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

Dale - I have only had it a week, but so far I really, really like it. It suits my needs for the kind of work that I do. My big Vicmarc went to my son who *loves* it!! He first turned when he was 9 years old on my old Sears lathe(I have that on video) and he has come a long way since that time; he's now 31 now and he is well into the vortex. He and I are going to bolt it down this weekend.

Wells - I am going to bolt it but no pucks! I's high enough already for this 5'4" (on a good day) guy!
    Thanks everyone for the input..