Thread: Found Cheap Lumber

Found Cheap Lumber

Yesterday I stopped to see an old-timer who has a Woodmizer and did some sawing for me two years ago. After we got to talking, he told me he was looking to sell off a bunch of his rough sawn lumber. Quarter sawn white oak, walnut, red oak, poplar, maple, shag bark hickory, etc....

I am starting to build some shop cabinets and he said he would sell the red oak or poplar to me for $1.50/bf. Some of the polar was nearly 12" wide or more. I haven't picked thru it yet and assume there would be some defects here and there. But the price is the best I have found in a while.

If anyone is local to Amsterdam, NY and is interested; I can get prices for the other lumber. He does not have the means to ship or deliver, he's just a good guy who took up sawing after retirement as a hobby and something to do.

Jimmy

I would buy as much of it, all species, as you can. I do not see the price of any of these woods dropping unless we have a serious down turn and home building just about stops again. I am of the opinion that one cannot have too much wood stored for use in the future.

Red oak and poplar usually sell pretty cheaply anyway. If you have a wholesale source you can get kiln dried for a few cents more, so not a super deal. Now if you can get the walnut or QS white oak for $1.50, than it may be worth buying and going through the hassle of drying it yourself?

good luck,
    JeffD

I'm not close enough, but is it air dried, kiln dried, mc?

Mark - I am not sure I can convince the wife to let me spend that kind of money and build another barn to store it all.

Jeff/Matt - It is air dried, and most has been sawn for a couple of years. It's been stored in sheds and some under tarps acting as sheds.