Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6" PVC D2729 Fitting Source

2729 in Anchorage, $52 for 10ft of $8.50/ft for cut lengths. Kwitcherbichin! :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

I've been able to buy S&D 4 and 6" 2729 from Carter Lumber here in the Grand Rapids, Mi area a stick at a time, so you might see if you can find one close by you on the East side of the state. Menards has been my best bet though for fittings.

Try your local irrigation warehouse. That is where I get my S&D pipe although I ordered the fittings from McMaster-Carr.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Pavlak View Post
    Has anyone seen any of this stuff http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced-...2&str_nbr=2728

Curious what the black stuff inside is? Would it still be smooth enough for dust collection? It looks like I can order what I need from Home Depot with no minimum QTY and free shipping to store. At $14.08 for 10' might work. I know the OD is 6.275", but can't find ID or wall thickness.
    That's HDPE pipe - regular solvent won't dissolve/glue it.
    It's cheap and light. I don't know what glue you're supposed to use with it.
    They don't have anything at the homecenter next to the pipe that works.

Solvent won't melt it and silicone won't stick to it.
    Last edited by Jeff Caulk; 03-25-2014 at 5:38 PM.

Not too worried about gluing it. I will just screw it together and tape the seams if I have to. I am a little concerned with the reviews though. Misshapen bell ends, oblong pipe, might be more hassle than it is worth. I have called every place in the surrounding area that I can think of. Contacted Manufacturers for suppliers and either get no response back, or they don't want to bother with Joe Homeowner.
    Drew

You may want to look at your local Intermountain Farmers, or whatever the equivalent would be in your area. Farm & ranch supply.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Tried the farm suppliers too, every plumbing supplier within 100 miles of me, landscaping suppliers, you name it. I even contacted Charlotte Pipe, JM Eagle, and North American Pipe, hoping to find a retailer that could sell me some. Got no where with that as well. I will probably just order it from Menards and then try to off load what I don't need.

R A Mort and supply sells it for $21.90 a 10' piece. They way I am planning on setting it up I am going to need close to 22 pieces. $482 roughly. I can buy a whole skid from Menards for $411 to $486. Depends on if I have to order 33 or 39 pieces. Still haven't gotten a clear answer on that. Either way I will have enough to do what I want to do and then if I can sell some off, I will come out cheaper than the $482 I would spend at R A Mort and Supply. More hassle for me, but hopefully it will be cheaper.

I know some guys have run the snap-lock duct, is 24ga the minimum you should go on this? I think when I checked into this, it was even more than the PVC. But thought I would check a couple of places here and see what they had to say. I know spiral duct is out. Already checked that and way too much money. At least double, just for the pipe, never even bothered adding up what the fittings were going to cost. Definite sticker shock!
    Drew

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Pavlak View Post
    Not too worried about gluing it. I will just screw it together and tape the seams if I have to. I am a little concerned with the reviews though. Misshapen bell ends, oblong pipe, might be more hassle than it is worth.
    I have no experience with this pipe, but wonder if you could coax it into a fitting with a heat gun?

I'd love to go together with the Menards 2729, but alas, live too far away. Good luck on your duct quest and keep us posted!

Looks like the closest Carter Lumber to you would be in Kalamazoo... still a couple hour drive, but they should have it. When I bought some from the GR branch a few years ago, the stick price was pretty reasonable. Though I'd give them a call first to confirm.

Carter Lumber - Kzoo
    Address: 6216 Gull Rd, Kalamazoo Township, MI 49048
    Phone:(269) 345-4414

They are only about 20 minutes from me actually, and I already called. Exact words were "We don't stock it and its not something we want to mess with." Grand Rapids store took my name and number a week ago, never called me back and I called back to see where he was in locating it and said he would get back to me. That was Tuesday. Not much hope for Carter Lumber unfortunately.
    Drew

I finally found someone to deal with. Company in Kalamazoo (yes it's a real place ) called Underground Pipe and Valve. I stopped into Home Depot last night to look at some of the PE pipe and I can say that I don't think I would use it. I noticed they had 4" ASTM 2729 sitting on the shelf, so I talked to Contractor supply to see if they could get 6", unfortunately they couldn't. But he did refer me to Underground Pipe and Valve. Just got off the phone with Jim who I must say understands the value of customer service. He for starters knew what I was talking about (ASTM 2729), Within minutes had me a price on the pipe and took my name and number and said he would get back to me on the fittings. Needless to say I found a supplier!!!!!!!!!!

No minimum QTY to order, and he has better pricing on the fittings than Menards. Pipe was a little more, but way less than R A Mort and I don't have to drive 4 hours round trip to go get it.

Looks like they deal in Indiana, Illinois and Michigan. So if you are looking for this stuff might want to give them a try. http://www.upvinc.com/

Now I don't have to order a whole skid of this stuff and try to get rid of the excess.

Pricing he gave me is below.
    6" x 10' pipe - $16.00
    6" x 6" x 6" wye - $15.25
    6" coupler - $5.06
    6" 45 deg. elbow - $7.75
    Drew

The pipe is described as being smooth walled. Click on the Specifications tab and you'll find that the inside diameter is 6". With a 6.275 OD you can surmise the wall thickness is .1375.

Those are very good to reasonable prices on the pipe and fittings, Drew! Good job on pounding the pavement to find what you want. I used two 45* elbows to create a long-radius 90*. Does your pipe have a bell-end on it? It is basically a built-in coupler but better and more of a smoother transition than a coupler. Be careful to properly support the elbow of the wye as they can't take much stress over time. I've had one or two crack on me that I thought didn't need support. You'll want some 6" metal as well to make transitions to blast gates and flex.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks for the input Chris. Just got my room roughed out and dry walled. Now I can get it all put together and maybe see how she runs. Excited to say the least. I want to get it all hung so I can at least see if there is a problem before it gets too late. I don't expect any, but you never know. Jim from Underground Pipe and Valve was great to to deal with, I am glad I kept at it until I found a supplier. The stuff from Home Depot (PE stuff) I don't thing I would use unless there was no other choice. It looked pretty cheap and the bells on the one end would never seal properly.

Got my supports all planned already, so hopefully there won't be any cracking. The metal and flex hose will have to wait for a little while, need to get all the dry wall finished first, still have a long way to go on that. Just not as young as I used to be. Hopefully this weekend will be productive.
    Drew