Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a Thought....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I appreciate the great responses....for me the true value of this forum is the knowledge and friendship we openly share and that is not worth risking over debating some trivial features of one brand versus another. What I have learned at SMC is a great deal...from some very knowlegable members.....Not so much about what to buy....but more on methods and materials , technques...and this is really woodworking ....you really learn from doing....bouncing ideas off friends....even making mistakes

Many of those knowlegeable people seem to take the high road and don't enter these senseless discussions....

As friends, these are the values I think we should uphold, protect and cherish...

I don't care what saw you use.....show me what your making with it!
    Here, Here..!!!! AMEN and AMEN!!!!!! Very well state Mark. I'm with you.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I appreciate the great responses....for me the true value of this forum is the knowledge and friendship we openly share and that is not worth risking over debating some trivial features of one brand versus another. What I have learned at SMC is a great deal...from some very knowlegable members.....Not so much about what to buy....but more on methods and materials , technques...and this is really woodworking ....you really learn from doing....bouncing ideas off friends....even making mistakes

Many of those knowlegeable people seem to take the high road and don't enter these senseless discussions....

As friends, these are the values I think we should uphold, protect and cherish...

I don't care what saw you use.....show me what your making with it!
    Mark.... Very well put!

I have and always will go by simplicity of not posting to a thread unless I have something "POSITIVE" to add and thinking hard about the words on my screen before hitting the "Submit" button.

SMC has been a valuable and good source of knowledge to me and I owe it to the members and staff to abide by the guidelines and give the same courtesy and respect that I would expect in return.

It is easy to get caught up in a moment of excitement or passion, but we should first examine the underlying intent and value of exchange before responding or being lured into a devil's triangle.

There are better ways to spend one's time than to beat a dead horse.
    Last edited by Bob Noles; 06-19-2005 at 1:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald

Per.....I used your idea......I was able to regenerate the bucket of joint compound......so I'm just taking a break......for the most part I'm just "mud"deling along .......I just hate mudding drywall!!
    Ken.
    Try this now. (The D-Mix)
    2-1/2 gallons of joint compound.
    1/2 to 1 gallon of latex PVA primer.
    And one quart of plaster of Paris.

Mix the jc with the primer first. Add the pop at the end.
    Your mix should be like heavy paint. and rollable.

Now you can apply the D-Mix with 3/4" lambskin roller and the rest is EZ.
    Wet your roller with water for 5 minutes before using.
    You can cover an area 4'x4' on with each roller dip.
    Now you can make your finish as smooth as you like with taping knifes and if the mix gets hard you can apply more mix or spray water to make it soft again. This mix don't create skin and allows you to rework the same materials until you're done.
    The results of this method should give you a veneer plaster look finish ...second to none.
    And with no sanding at the end.

There is a product called Hamilton's prep coat which is similar to what Dino is suggesting...It provides a good paintable surface and eliminates the paper surface on gyp bd....

How did this Thread turn into a drywall finishing Thread?
    Who cares ! Just enjoy Fathers Day and take a break from anything that you don't want to do....like drywall...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark......at least we're not discussing those two subjects and helpful information is being transmitted.......I'm sorry I didn't mean to steal your thread........but it is an example of what you desire except it's not furniture........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

100% Correct ! Ken....it is a fine subject!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Mark......at least we're not discussing those two subjects and helpful information is being transmitted.......I'm sorry I didn't mean to steal your thread........but it is an example of what you desire except it's not furniture........

It is pretty easy to predict the controversial topics...ones that will lead to pure sensless fighting. Why?

My suggestion which I made early in the thread was that all this has been discussed many times before and to just link them to the the old thread and be done with it!

Why engage in this futile dialog....life is too short and it is what we all see as weakness in other Forums....our participation lowers us to that level.

The bigger problem for me is it has nothing to do with woodworking! Long before any of these fancy new tools existed woodworkers devised , jigs and methods to achieve great results....put your effort into that....and then tell the SMC Forum how you did it!

I , for one, would be quite interested!
    Bravo, Bravo !!!

I actually find myself spending less and less time at SMC because of the repetitive banter about what tool is bigger and better. Can we split General Woodworking and Power Tools into 2 separate distinct forums? How about a Gloat Forum? Okay I'm pushing it.

Happy Fathers Day.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Rich,

I find your post very interesting and I hope others are reading it!
    Happy Fathers Day to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    Bravo, Bravo !!!

I actually find myself spending less and less time at SMC because of the repetitive banter about what tool is bigger and better. Can we split General Woodworking and Power Tools into 2 separate distinct forums? How about a Gloat Forum? Okay I'm pushing it.

Happy Fathers Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    I actually find myself spending less and less time at SMC because of the repetitive banter about what tool is bigger and better.
    Gosh, Rich, I find it just the opposite - I have stopped visiting most other sites because of the quality of the posts here at SMC - it seems that so many folks on the other foums chime in with snide remarks about just anything and then others reply so that a simple question or offer to sell something takes on an unpleasant life that benefits no one except those that enjoy such drivel.

I do not indend my remark to be a universal condemnation of other forums - there are, indeed, several good fourms and many well indended participants. But at least at SMC you can address a person by his or her real first name and many folks post a photo of themselves- that alone, in my opinion, promotes harmony.

There are some among us who have strong opinions about certain topics and may be quick to defend their opinions. But we know who they are and I know that most of them also post good info on other topics. As a whole, I believe that offending threads on SMC are much less frequent than on any other woodworking forum that I have found. Also, we have great moderators who not only pay attention to what is going on but also have the guts to put a stop to offending threads - and they do so without the fear of FREEDOM OF SPEACH outcries - because they know that is what our members want.

I hope you continue to frequent SMC.
    Ray
    Semper Fi

Comment/question

[QUOTE=Rich Konopka]Bravo, Bravo !!!

Rich well said. I like your idea on separate forums. Hate to be a complete Dumbeeee but what was the original post Mark was referring to??
    Jerry

Dino...thanks for the suggestion. I'll bookmark this thread and try it on my next project......sorry again Mark....didn't mean to steal the thread....did feel I needed to reply to Dino.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bersch
    Gosh, Rich, I find it just the opposite - I have stopped visiting most other sites because of the quality of the posts here at SMC - it seems that so many folks on the other foums chime in with snide remarks about just anything and then others reply so that a simple question or offer to sell something takes on an unpleasant life that benefits no one except those that enjoy such drivel.

I do not indend my remark to be a universal condemnation of other forums - there are, indeed, several good fourms and many well indended participants. But at least at SMC you can address a person by his or her real first name and many folks post a photo of themselves- that alone, in my opinion, promotes harmony.

There are some among us who have strong opinions about certain topics and may be quick to defend their opinions. But we know who they are and I know that most of them also post good info on other topics. As a whole, I believe that offending threads on SMC are much less frequent than on any other woodworking forum that I have found. Also, we have great moderators who not only pay attention to what is going on but also have the guts to put a stop to offending threads - and they do so without the fear of FREEDOM OF SPEACH outcries - because they know that is what our members want.

I hope you continue to frequent SMC.
    Ray
    I agree with you regarding the other sites. I do not visit them that much. It is the same ole stuff. I do not believe that to be the case here. However, I think it is every SMC members duty to prevent SMC from becoming just like the other forumns. I have not found anyone on this site who does not behave other than a Gentleman or a lady. I raise my Glass of 99 Cab to the moderators for enforcing these standards.

IMHO, It seems to be quite a bit of tool talk. I find myself guilty as charged. Sometimes it comes across that we are all trying to keep up with the Jones when it comes to tools. I find myself yearning for the posts where some builds a piece of furniture that is going to be published in FWW. Where else in the world can I get exposure to these resources?

I also cherish the notes from our boys and girls in Iraq upon receiving a pen which was turned by the hands of one of our esteemed members. This is what draws me to SMC.

Correct me if I am wrong that by splitting Power Tools and Woodworking into two forumns would allow the tool junkies to prosper and the Woodworkers to build within thier own respective forumns.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Rich,

<!-- / message --><!-- sig --> I do not wish to correct you, " Correct me if I am wrong that by splitting Power Tools and Woodworking into two forums would allow the tool junkies to prosper and the Woodworkers to build within thier own respective forums".

Maybe you are not wrong, but besides for this one abberant tool rivalry,

The forum is splendid as is.

There are no, "my jointer is bigger then yours" or
    " Youre a Idjit if you don't buy deltamaticstop table saw"
    No, only on this one issue. So lets let it go.

I will do my part though, as a member of one camp I will no longer
    respond in this fray . Time to declare peace and move on.

As Mr Singer wrote so well, lets see what you are making with your
    tool of choice.

Sometimes it is very easy to get wrapped up in the moment.
    It would be so much easier not to respond ,then ruin a good thing.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Bravo Rich and Per!

Rich and Per.........and that's what's so different about SMC.......you both have considered it's importance and would be willing to make changes to see it continue. And it will.....because of your attitudes and the attitudes of other members. You are both right.........changing the forums would resolve the problem and changing personal attitudes will resolve the problem.....I suspect this post will change some attitudes and that is probably what Mark Singer's original intention was..........bring to light the problems and cause attitudes to change.......SMC will survive and continue to grow......and we'll all trade information, stories, opinions in a friendly and civil manner! Bravo!
    Ken

As many of you have stated SMC is a very special place and it is the members that really make it. I don't think that anyone starts out with intentions to be abrasive and let things get out of control.....it just happens. Sometimes it is possible to grow from such experiences, to become sensitive to a thread going sour and knowing what course to take. I have tremendous respect for the other Moderators and the members of this forum.....nothing that happened will change that.... Just like in a good relationship.......it is healthy to talk things out and see just what happened.... This is a good thing.....I think we grow from this experience. I understand the interest in tools and the desire to get proper direction....I make choices and solicit advice often....and I have come to trust the SMC members on such things...I love to see quality work and the methods taken to build something....on balance we are still way ahead....and moving in a very positive direction!