Thread: Noden "Adjust-A-Bench" cabinet question

Noden "Adjust-A-Bench" cabinet question

I recently purchased a Noden Adjust-A-Bench and I want to build a cabinet into the base of it. Currently, it has the two wooden stretchers with threaded rod holding it all together.

Question for you guys who own an Adjust-A-Bench:

If I build a cabinet into the base, can I get rid of the threaded rod and stretchers? Or will the bench be unstable without them? If I must keep the rod and stretchers, how do I incorporate them into the design of the cabinet?

Pictures of what you've done with yours would be most helpful. Thanks for any suggestions!

- Jason

Jason I have an Adjust-A-Bench and you need the stretchers or something similar to hold it together and keep it from racking. When I purchase mine I talked to the owner about putting a cabinet under my bench and he told me about some plans that were posted in I think the American Wood Worker Magazine a few years back that showed the cabinet plans and in it they did not use the stretchers do to the fact the cabinet was used for them instead. But they still used the rods to tighten things up. (Which is easily incorporated into a cabinet and does not take up much room) Do a search on the web or call Geoffrey the owner of Adjust-A-Bench and he will help you find the article.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...workbench.aspx

Here it is I found it....
    Last edited by richard poitras; 09-11-2013 at 7:33 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Can't answer you directly because I still have the two threaded rods and stretchers. I did speak recently to Geoffry Noden re using only one stretcher and rod which would be installed in the middle using a welded adapter that he sells. Essentially he told me that I would be ok unless I was a Neanderthal and did heavy hand planing. Under those circumstances, he said that there would be some movement in the table. I did not ask him that specific question.....he volunteered the circumstance. I am not a Neanderthal so presumably I would not have a problem. I too was thinking of adding a cabinet but I haven't done it.

American Woodworker had some plans for cabinets for the Noden and I also believe that Jim Becker built cabinets under his Noden. Perhaps you can do a Google and forum search.

If the cabinet you build is bolted to the leg as well as the threaded rod stretcher and as strong, I don't see why you couldn't go that route. I chose to build some drawers below the threaded rod stretchers though, so that when the bench is lowered they'd still be room for holdfasts (or whatever) to fit through the dog holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Novak; 09-11-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    If the cabinet you build is bolted to the leg as well as the threaded rod stretcher and as strong, I don't see why you couldn't go that route. I chose to build some drawers below the threaded rod stretchers though, so that when the bench is lowered they'd still be room for holdfasts (or whatever) to fit through the dog holes.
    Dave,
    Your bench design is very similar to what I have in mind (and very nice looking to boot!). I've ordered my legs and casters, but haven't received them yet, so I'm trying to figure out how everything will go together. One thing I was wondering was if the casters could me mounted outboard instead of inboard? From your picture it doesn't look like the casters intrude too much on the cabinet space so it may be fine.

Do you happen to have any sketches/drawings of your design you could share?

Thanks,
    Evan

He has a Facebook page that shows many different pics of customer benches. Those Noden components are slicker than snot and I have wanted a set for a while gonna have to save up my pennies to get one and make a 4 X 8 work bench/table which will replace my current roll around work table which is getting long in the tooth.