Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cosmoline, best way to remove it???

cosmoline, best way to remove it???

Title says it all, What is used to get this goop off of my lathe? Thanks, John...

WD-40 and plenty of paper towels.

3. Mineral Spirits work really well.......especially if you use a synthetic scrubber pad along with it....think Scotchbrite......[green] then wipe off with a little mineral spirits on a paper towel.........works great!

Good luck!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I think kerosene works better than minspers and is cheaper than wd40
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I always use acetone.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Naptha is what I used when I was in the machine tool business. Just wear gloves. Tends to dry out your skin pretty bad.

All these work well. But remember if you use a solvent, you will need to reapply a rust preventative such as boeshield or woodworker lube, especially if you are turning wet wood.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Kerosene works great we used it in the military to remove the cosmoline off of everything. I mean everything I don't care if it was moved down the street it was first coated in cosmoline. The kerosene also doesn't bother any finishes the military uses.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Citrol by Schaefer works great at cleaning equipment. Excellent degreaser and won't harm paint.
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Hair dryer or heat gun. No joke. Cosmoline melts at a Low temp.

Caution - almost everyone is recommending a flammable liquid to clean your lathe. Be real careful with the rags as you don't want to cause a fire by spontaneous combustion. Lay them out flat so they can dry before disposing....Just my 2 cents

To expand on what Ben stated: I cleaned some cosmoline off just yesterday with a rag sprayed with Boeshield; cleaned off the cosmoline and left a thin layer of rust protectant/lubricant behind.

Greg

I just got done removing about 15 pounds from a surplus rifle last week. I found Break Free Power Blast to work amazingly well. Best I have found. You can buy it just about any place that has a sporting goods department. Including walmart.

Napalm!
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Let's not forget good old fashioned brake cleaner. I found it to be much faster than both acetone and mineral spirits.