Thread: Excellent book for handplane newbies

Excellent book for handplane newbies

Handplane Essentials, by Chris Schwartz.

Its a collection of blogs and articles, some of which Ive read free on the web, but most of which were new to me. I think Im at just the right point to benefit from his ideas - about 18 mos into the hand tool journey and using a mix of power and handplanes. I found his easygoing writing style pleasant and very readable. The book is well organizes and taught me a number of useful things.

I also got a copy of Spagnuolo's "Hybrid Woodworking" and I'll be reading it next. Ive been interested ever since someone posted on it a while back. I'll let you know what I think afterward.

Not that it matters here, but I find that I dont get as much out of video as I do well-illustrated books. Which is actually a shame - its certainly counter-intuitive - but its just not how I learn.

Take care.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-25-2014 at 10:26 PM. Reason: format problems
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I too really get a lot out of GOOD text and photos.
    As I always say, when a person sits down and takes the time to write a book, and a few people proof read it and all it is bound to be much better organized and thought out than a blog or a video.

I really enjoy Chris Schwartz and his books and DVDs
    not to speak poorly of his work
    but

Probably the best indo I ever read about hand planes are these two texts :
    http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...ock-plane.aspx
    and
    http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Woodw...s=toshio+odate

Not newbie stuff but I don't know how a person starting out can get by with inexpensive planes and not fettle them like yeah.

PS: I was just gazing longingly, again, at the Ian Kirby DVD three disc set.
    I want it to be better than it is.
    I have learned a lot from Ian Kirby's books and magazine articles. He really has a lot to teach.
    The review of the DVDs is discouraging though and the price of the set puts a nail in the coffin for me.
    Can any body tell me how long the DVDs are in hours and minutes ? The Amazon info doesn't say.
    I just discovered there is bonus material that is text on line. I supose that must be taken in to account when judging the price.

Anyway I look forward to your thoughts on the Hybrid Woodworking book.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-26-2014 at 10:28 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Thanks Winton. Ill keep you posted on it!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Not that it matters here, but I find that I dont get as much out of video as I do well-illustrated books. Which is actually a shame - its certainly counter-intuitive - but its just not how I learn.Fred
    For me the sound of a properly set plane in action tells me much more than static pictures.
    I struggled with work holding and fixtures until I saw some of the Big Dogs flailing away.

They had boards bouncing all over their benches, and got excellent results.

The best way to learn a mechanical skill is to have someone in the same room demonstrate, and stand over your shoulder while you give it a go.
    Short of that, watching a video (preferably with sound - no banjo track, thanks) to show the speed and basic motions is better than stop and pop shots.

None of the books I've read on the subject even mention the sound a plane should make as it cuts properly.

I agree with Jim. I've read a few books and many articles and many more forum posts related to woodworking with hand tools. I've learned a lot from text and pictures but the videos have had the greatest impact for me. I've been able to see and hear people as they use a saw, plane or chisel. When I go to do it myself, I have more points of reference.

That said, sometimes real life is not like the videos. Last night, for practice, I took a piece of cherry and squared, flattened and smoothed all 6 sides. Then, I attempted to create a bull-nose profile on 3 edges using the plane. I'd watched Paul Sellers do this a few days ago. Although it seemed very simple, I've never done it before.

The ends didn't go as smoothly as Paul's video. Lots of squeaking when I got beyond 45 degrees. If I were in the room with Paul or someone else, they probably could have given me 20 seconds of feedback and I'd be making better bull-nose already.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Come on down to Bellefontaine some day. You can hear how a plane sounds quite well. Been raising a few panels, in sycamore ( easy) Black Walnut ( not quite as easy) and Pine ( not as easy as Walnut) for the F&P sides of a Tool Chest. Paul Sellers clamped his panel up in a vise. That is ok for short ones, but when they get to be over two feet long, better that i lay them flat. Ever hear how a #78 rebate plane sounds? Had a few to make reabtes, some as wide as 3/4", sound is great, even across the grain.

Might be a bit cramped down here, thoughIMAG0012.jpgThere is a jig on the bench, just some particle board with a pair of cleats. Lower cleat holds onto the edge of the bench, upper cleat stops a board from sliding around too much. Have added other cleats as neededIMAG0037.jpgto keep narrow stuff in place. I never smoothed the Particle board, I like it to be a bit rough so things will tend to stay put.

I'm a big fan of this kind of workholding.

It's effective, and doesn't eat up your budget for lumber.
    It's the results what count...

Your results are admirable.
    Kudos