Thread: Pin Router

Pin Router

Does any one know where I might find the approximate date of manufacture for an Ekstrom & Carlson 232 pin router; serial # 232-241. I e-mailed Ekstrom Carlson and they replied that they could not advise. Thanks very much!

I see it listed in a 1945 flyer from star machinery.(a dealer)

If that helps any

CW

Have you ever been to this site? http://vintagemachinery.org/

Ekstrom Carlson had two ways of numbering their serial numbers. Not sure when they changed the system. Your serial # would mean that it is a model #232 and it was the 241 st machine built in that line. Some of their serial #'s have a two digit number referring to the year made and then the number machine built that year. Please go to the vintage machinery site listed above and register. Then please enter your machine information in the Ekstrom Carlson registry. I am the steward over the Ekstrom Carlsons and would really like to see your information added. Also add pics if you have them.
    Thanks
    James

Pin Router

Quote Originally Posted by James Boster View Post
    Ekstrom Carlson had two ways of numbering their serial numbers. Not sure when they changed the system. Your serial # would mean that it is a model #232 and it was the 241 st machine built in that line. Some of their serial #'s have a two digit number referring to the year made and then the number machine built that year. Please go to the vintage machinery site listed above and register. Then please enter your machine information in the Ekstrom Carlson registry. I am the steward over the Ekstrom Carlsons and would really like to see your information added. Also add pics if you have them.
    Thanks
    James
    Thanks very much James! I will do exactly that! FYI, my machine has three data plates. It belonged to NTS Keyport, a US Naval facility at some point (purchased new by them, I would venture a guess). I'll get some pictures of it soon. Best regards and thanks again! Tim

CW
    I think I have a copy of that catalog (2 pages ), but I was not aware of the date. Mine gives Star/Seattle # as ELiott 0760. Same as yours? I'd like to find someone with a similar model that knew their date of mfg. so I could at least get an idea of how many of these things were made.

Thanks,

TM

CW or Tim what catalog are you referring too? Anyway to get a copy? Tim you say your machine has 3 data plates. What information is on the others?
    Thanks
    James

James,

The catalog pages came from a Google search of Ekstrom Carlson, I really don't remember which result yielded them. I will attempt to attach pictures. If I fail here, I posted some when I registered the machine on your web site last night. ------ I can't get the last photo to upload; that's the one with the data plates. It is bigger (2.4mb) than the others and I don't know how to fix it

Regards,

Tim100_3535.jpg100_3536.jpg100_3537.jpg

Can you give me all the numbers that are on the center data plate. The one that is cast on the door not the ones attached? Also on the spindle it does not look to be threaded. what type of collets does it take?
    Thanks
    James

James,
    I have a no. 156 pin router. I'll see if I can get some info on your registry.
    Chris

2012-12-23_16-49-03_594.jpg

Thanks Chris that would be great. I also have a 156.
    James

James,

I may be being redundant but here are the numbers from the center plate.

R-178
    Ser# 232-241

FYI, it is "glued" to the door, not cast into it. There is a 1/2" collet up inside the spindle, has a lock on top and tightens on top with a 9/16" open end wrench.

Regards,

Tim

James,

I just figured our that if you're in "Private Messages" you don't get the "Browse" option but if you're in the public forum, you do. Who'd a thunk it! Oh well, one of these days I'll arrive in the 20th century! Attached (hopefully) are the photos of the collet and spindle.

Regards,

Tim100_3539.jpg100_3540.jpg100_3541.jpg100_3542.jpg100_3543.jpg100_3544.jpg100_3545.jpg100_3546.jpg