Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: LA block plane: useless or indispensable

Useless or indispensable? Neither.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Overheard at Block Planes Anonymous "I am Derek and I have a block plane problem".

I don't know about indispensable (could use a rock) but I like my blocks !

Hey . . .,
    Better late than never right ?
    I am pretty darned opinionated about the little guys.

First I had the LOW angle LN block.
    I tried and tried and tried to like it. It worked GREAT !
    That was my first MAGICAL Bevel Up moment !
    I was trying to plane purple heart with out tear out. The LN #4 bevel down was tearing out.
    Bingo . . . the LN low angle with a steeper secondary bevel just made it business as usual. No big deal. (I later put the back bevel on the #4 and got good results but too much futz) (if I had ONLY KNOWN about the chip breaker steeper angle and micro setting of the CB I might have been saved from going down the dark and sinister Bevel Up alley) (it is tooooo late for me. Newbies SAVE YOUR SELVES ! ! ! Listen to David ! Don't do as I have done . . . ! ! ! ! Sigh . . . where was I ? ) . . . oh yah . . .
    But
    My hand was always fatigued and cramped up while using the LN LOW angle.
    Finally I bought the HIGHER angle block, what is it ? 20 ° ? as opposed to 12 ° ?
    anyway
    That fixed it. After a year or two of fighting the LOW no more cramp and locked fingers. The HIGHER just balances better for me when doing a lot of planing with it.
    I suppose for end grain work the LOW block is the hot ticket but for general all around work I prefer the 20 ° LN block.

I couldn't find the LOW block for the photo and as I remember, it has been like ten or more years now.
    I . . .
    are you ready for this ? It is one of the things that Woodcraft and LN really did right and I thank them for it . . .
    I used the LOW block for all that time (a year or more) and as I recall I. . .
    RETURNED IT ! No questions asked.
    Wow
    I was buying all my planes from them and quite a stable at that inclidinng a #7 LN BD and the big 'Ol LN Shoulder plane etc., so they made out alright from me. I spent LOTS of money, they treated me right. Win win right ?

Refering to this photo from left to right. You can tell the LOW from the HIGHER by looking at the hight of the blade adjust knobs .

In any case I exchanged the LN 12 ° for the LN 20 ° block (first plane in the photo) and really like it.
    Then
    I got all fascinated with the Varitas block, the round indentations in the sides and all.
    Better adjuster (Norris). That is the plane fourth from left.
    It is LOW (12 °)
    It is a bit larger/wider. If you are going to get just one maybe get that one.
    The LN is narrower and pretty cool to have though.
    I decided some where along the line that if I was going have a LOW block it was going to have to do more tricks to make up for the finger fatigue. I now think that if my original Low LN block had the round divots on the sides like the Varitas then I might have done alright with it and kept it.
    In any case I got the LN Rabbet Block (second from left)
    http://www.lie-nielsen.com/block-pla...lane-w/nicker/
    This link is for the one with the nicker. As I recall, back then there was no choice for a nicker, or maybe my WC didn't stock them.
    So in my photo that is the second one and you can see how much lower it is. Makes quite a difference in how you hold it.
    In the photo I included my LN # 1 I use that one quite a bit but it doesn't really take the place of the block / it is more of a two handed tool. The blocks are useable one handed or two.
    The fourth one over is the Varitas block. One of my all time favorite planes. A GREAT, GREAT TOOL !
    And for fun I included a block that I found in my parents attic when I was clearing out the house for sale after they passed away.
    Just an unfinished attic; trusses and all. Just found it sitting up there along with ONE old metal SPOKED truck wheel. ? ? ? ? I wonder what the story was with that ?
    I have never used the old rusty block. It is just part of my plane collection.

So yah. Unless you are really good with a rock I would recommend getting a block, or three or four.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-01-2014 at 12:56 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Hi Winton

Nice commentary. Your praise of the LV LA Block Plane reminded me to add a few explanations about the choice I made above, the LV NX60 and LN 103.

Choosing a block planes is somewhat like choosing a chisel - it is a very personal tool. Feel, balance and aesthetics will vary from user to user. Some even prefer a bench plane to do the tasks of a block plane. Whatever floats your boat.

Anyway, many years ago my go to block plane was a Stanley #65 knucklejoint with a LN blade. Wonderful plane. It eventually dawned on me that it was too wide for my taste, even though I have a largish paw. At that time my other block plane was a (small) LN 103, and I really like the way it nestled into my hand for use when, for example, breaking edges. The 103 is good for this task as it has a 20 degree bed for a 45 degree common angle cut.

I looked for an alternative to the #65, considered the LV LABP, and rejected it as it was the same size (width) as the #65. That would be going sideways to some extent. I tried, liked and purchased the LN 60 1/2 (low angle). This was the block plane I used for several years. It is a great size, I liked the heft in the small package, and it just works so well.

Some years later Lee Valley began developing the block plane that was to become the NX60 (nickel-resist ductile iron) and DX60 (ductile iron) versions. I was sent a pre-production plane to test, which later went back with a few recommendations (which were incorporated in the production version). While this plane literally took my breath away, as well as I finding the NX60 to be a perfect fit for my hand (it is the same size as the LN 60 1/2), it was during the course of examining it that I realised why the LABP was such a great design in its own right. (The features are continued into the NX/DX60).

It is only when you place the LN and the LV alongside one another and attempt to make adjustments to the blade that all becomes clear. In use there is no difference. They are all wonderful performers. However, the knurled knob that tightens/loosens the blade (before it can be adjusted) is very differently designed by each planemaker. The LN is tucked away under the handgrip and it is actually a bit of effort to get to. The LV is easy to adjust as the handhold is narrowed so that the knob sits proud of it.

The other feature is the way the mouth adjusts. This is much smoother and more intuitive on the LABP/NX60 than the LN 60 1/2. The former requires a twist of the knob to loosen and slide, while the latter uses the Stanley system of turning a lever. The lever tends to stick and adjustments become jerky.

What happened to my LN 60 1/2? I still have it and use it. It is a great plane notwithstanding these comments. And the LV NX60? I use that as well, perhaps more. It is a blast to use as it is so good on the eyes as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Brian

If I cark it before my wife, I am nominating you to catalogue all my tools.

I actually do not own most of those block planes. Many of them are on indefinite loan for the review. They are packed away and awaiting a day or two when I am free ... and have been so for about 5 years now !!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well! If you're supplying the beer I'll be there next week to get the cataloguing started. I can set up a spreadsheet with future depreciation/collectability/value/inflation scenarios so if you've got 10 or 20 years... left in that tank she'll still be able to get good value for money.

Five years you've had them... I'd say that they're yours now.

I'm just in the process of cataloguing my stuff for a move a bit sooner than anticipated. It's hard to decide what to cut and sell and what to keep. Thankfully overseas shipping is on square foot basis rather than weight, so most will be going. The lathe alone weighs at least a 1000lbs.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Never useless, but whether it's indispensable depends on the other planes you have. The first plane I bought was a Lee Valley low angle block plane, and with the various accessories Lee Valley sells, it's still the most versatile plane I own. It's traditional wisdom that if you have only one plane it should be a jack plane, and that's probably true. But if I could have only two planes, they'd be the LV LA block plane and a jointer.

I have four blades for it -- three different angles and the toothed blade. Of those, the toothed blade gets the least amount of use, and I could do without it fairly easily, but I use the other three regularly. The chamfer attachment is great. I also have the tote and knob attachments; it took me a while to warm up to them, but now they stay attached almost all the time.
    Michael Ray Smith