Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Latest

Talking My Latest

This form was somewhat challenging (meaning that I took my time) because of bark inclusions and more than a few voids. Sure made the hollowing process easier but my shop was a real mess after finishing this thing!

MBHF_1.jpg MBHF_2.jpg MBHF_3.jpg
    MBHF_4.jpg MBHF_5.jpg MBHF_6.jpg

Maple burl, 12” (305 mm) diameter x 5 5/8” (143 mm) high x 1/8” (3 mm) thick on top and walls, Ό” (6.35 mm) thick on bottom for ballast. Finish is gloss wipe-on poly, rubbed out to a matte surface using 0000 steel wool and given a coat of Renaissance wax.

One of the voids was large enough to allow me to insert an LED flashlight. Thought it added a little dimension to the piece.

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Always love to see your work Steve.

I've tried this shape a few times with minimal success.

Thanks for sharing.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

What a wonderful piece Steve. That piece of maple had all sorts of great character and it's all displayed so well. I think it's a good thing you left a bit of ballast in the bottom, otherwise it may have had a tendency to float away. All kidding aside, a real delicate look to it, but not so much it can't be handled and appreciated. I'd really like to see the tool you use to get the outside shoulder!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I like the shape and the holes!!! So do you leave the LED light in there all the time??!!!

Nice job.

very nice Steve, 12 inches wide 1/8 thick on sides outstanding

Steve, as always, you do a superb job on this form. Given the relentlessness snow and frigid conditions you all have been having up there in the UP, I know you have been spending a good bit of time shoveling and snow blowing, cleaning the deck, etc., so I am pleased you were finally able to get this one completed! Excellent work.

7. A beauty Steve! You did a superb sanding and finishing job on this one [usual fare for you ] and with the thinness of the walls with all the inclusions, my mind wonders about whether or not you wrapped the outside while hollowing? Seems that might be a good thing in the case of a piece with all those inclusions.

Well done!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The shape is restrained and elegant, which shows off the beautiful wood to great effect.

I really like this form. Wonderful wood to.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Beautiful hollow form! You sure did bring out the best of that piece of wood. I'm sure it is even more impressive in person.

I can see the need for patience on this one. It's a great looking piece and I'm glad you resisted coloring it, the character of the wood speaks for itself. No other embellishments needed.

Beautiful wood and workmanship, I love it.

Excellent piece. The voids really add to the ability to "see" the work done on the inside. The finishing must have been as much or more difficult than the actual turning.

Steve, that is a beautiful piece of work.
    Lori K

Beautiful job Steve. Always a pleasure to view your work. Quite a challenging piece , but you pulled it off and did great job bring out the best in this wood.
    Member Illiana Woodturners