Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doug Thompson sharpening video

Doug Thompson sharpening video

Hope this is okay with the moderators, but found this and think it is very good. It does cover a lot of stuff about what the nose of your gouge should look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOc6giDP39A

robo hippy

2. This is a great video, everyone that needs to know how to sharpen should watch this one. If your tools are not sharp you cannot turn. Michael

Thanks for posting this link! There is a ton of useful information on the video and even seasoned turners can get a lot out of it. Now I'm off to tune up a few fingernail gouges .
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks for posting! I saw a Robo Rest nicely featured in there!!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Great video Reed. Thanks for posting...I needed a refresher.

I was out in the shop turning some madrone this morning, and tried the 60 degree bevel on one of his gouges. For what ever reasons, I find it easier to go down the sides of the bowl with a more pointy (45 degree) gouge. More experimentation!!!!

I did like seeing the robo rest in there, but not the reason I posted the link. I just like his approach to sharpening.

robo hippy

Wonder if he has changed his mind on CBN wheels. An $85 wheel dresser isn't in some peoples budget either. If we add up the total price of our Thomson tools, what's a few hundred for an awesome sharpening wheel. I've gone through a few 3X "K" wheels. Great video and I learned some great things.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks for the link, I believe Doug was in Springfield, Missouri this past Saturday where this was videoed. Then, on Sunday he was at our club. I was able to go just long enough to buy some of Doug's tools, but I was not able to stay for his sharpening demo. This filled in what I missed. Thanks. BTW, that was a nice rest he was using.

Reed - Thank you for posting. This will definitely improve my sharpening skills. I know areas I can improve just by watching it once. I know watching a few more times will help as I probably missed some detail the first time through. Most of my new tools are Doug's anyway.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I enjoyed watching this video a few months back. Went back to review today and it's marked "private" and won't play. Anyone have a working link?

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Roberge View Post
    I enjoyed watching this video a few months back. Went back to review today and it's marked "private" and won't play. Anyone have a working link?
    Ditto on that. If anyone knows of a public version of the video ...

I hope there is a public version, it is "private" at the moment....
    I bought a Michael Hosaluk Detail Gouge a little while ago, it is made by Doug BUT... I cannot make it work.
    It has two long bevels and is very pointed. I start a cut and it immediately skates across the wood.
    Does anyone have one and is there a trick to making it work?
    thanks
    Peter F.

Peter,
    I tried to find an image of it, and couldn't. It could be my computer skills. Do you have one? There is the 'vortex' tool that Cindy Drozda uses, and it is pretty similar to Stuart Batty's vortex tool (maybe even the same one but don't know for sure). Like a detail gouge but long wings. I have one of Doug's fluteless gouges that I use that is ground kind of swept back. I don't cut with the point, but with the side, and roll it over gently till it starts to cut. Does that sound similar?

robo hippy

14. It won't load for me.........I get a message that says Private video.........if the owner has given you permission to view it, log in. I don't think Doug makes his videos priviate............seems others could view it............. I have seen a couple of his video instructions before now.....not sure if this one is a new one or not?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If I recall, that video was a demo at a club meeting and might belong to the club.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).