Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for Corel Draw upgrade

Recommendation for Corel Draw upgrade

The time is overdo for me to upgrade my Corel draw X3. I am thinking about X6. My version of X3 was a home and student version even though there was not any indication on the box, (no VBA). I love X3 and will continue to use it but my files are getting larger and X3 is very slow with large files.

Any thoughts would be appreciated? I am not finding any deals from Corel but I see Amazon has an offer from "SkyMall1116". I have no idea what I would be getting. I would rather have the box version instead the download.

Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Are you sure it's X3 that gets slower - maybe its the computer.
    My attitude to UG's is that if it aint broken , don't fix it...
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Blog Entries
    X7 should be out soon, if you don't mind waiting a bit more...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Version 12 was released Feb. 2012
    X3 released Jan. 2006
    X4 released Jan. 2008
    X5 released Feb. 2010
    X6 released March 2012

Based on that data, I'd agree with Dan, X7 will be here very shortly. I'd wait for that.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

X6 appears to be a good upgrade with lots of extra features. There is a new subscription agreement available with Corel X6 which will get all updates and all future version upgrades if you agree to an annual fee. It doesn't seem unreasonable for a business application. It may be a bit much for a hobbiest.

The other concern is whether you'll be able to upgrade to X7 from X3. You may have to buy the complete new version. I suspect that will be the case.

A search will turn up another thread or more on this topic with a better explanation of the X6 upgrade option.

To Rodney's point, I know an old pro who still uses version 9 everyday (he has X3 as well) because he likes it.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-27-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

X6 has some useful features : better tracing being probably the most important.
    It also allows the import of recently produced PDFs, AI files etc. which increasingly X3 can't manage.

That said, I still use X3 as the final destination for all my engraving files.

I bought my X6 upgrade early last year during the "amnesty period", after which they would only allow upgrades from X4 or X5 - so expect to pay full price now.

X6 seems to make use of the features of the latest processors/video cards and runs a bit slower than X3 on my ageing computers.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Version 12 was released Feb. 2012
    X3 released Jan. 2006
    X4 released Jan. 2008
    X5 released Feb. 2010
    X6 released March 2012

Based on that data, I'd agree with Dan, X7 will be here very shortly. I'd wait for that.
    I was just going by their beta program... it's closed for X7, which means it will likely be here before the year is out (hopefully sooner).

You don't mention what type of computer you are running X3 on. X6 has some nice features, but it is a big change from X3. It brings my fast-running, clean install XP computer to a crawl as soon as I work in Corel. I can dual-boot to my old hard drive running the old XP intall with X3 on it and X3 is screaming fast compared to running X6.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

9. I agree, if it ain't broke don't fix it. On the other hand, I had forgotten that Microsoft is discontinuing it's updates to Win XP starting in April.

I may need to upgrade my computers now seeing as how they are 9 & 10 yrs old & probably will have some issues with Win 7. Problem is my old NH uses a parallel port, looks like I may have to purchase a PCI card for that dinosaur.
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    Are you sure it's X3 that gets slower - maybe its the computer.
    My attitude to UG's is that if it aint broken , don't fix it...
    Rodne, I could not agree more about the "if it aint broken..."

Mike, My P4 XP pro comp is still fast with X3 and works well with the files
    that I created years back. Lately I have been adding lots of complex gradient fills with many powerclips in files as large as 13 mb. These new files can take more than a minute to save or make changes to.

I have a newer comp, Intel Xeon quad core CPU E5410 @2.33ghz, 8 GB ram, Nvidia Guadro FZ 4600, running win 7 pro 64 bit. It's an older Lenovo workstation.
    Thinking is comp will take care of the upgrade version.

Will keep X3 intact. It's a sweet program.

I was on the Corel website but did not see the option for buying into future upgrades. Will look again.
    Thanks to all.

Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

"if it aint broken..." that's natural my outlook BUT its kind of a lazy way to do things and can come at a price over time. I used to design PCB's for a living and I liked the software, I knew it inside out and it worked, now my employed paid for all the support and upgrades but i never installed them, couldn't see the point "it wasnt broken, it worked" Well eventually i had to upgrade it and because i had left it so long and there had been about 5 new versions i didnt have a clue how to use it and had a massive turning curve. Now to be fair corel has not changed that much between X3 and X6 but i like to keep upto date and each revision comes with a manageable amount of new features. Also we use the hell out of it so the cost is virtually nothing compared to cost of the software. I always keep all the versions on my PC as there always seems to be something they take away or spoil every time !!
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

For anyone wanting to upgrade to CorelDraw X6 from X3,X4 or X5.....Last day is March 1

http://www.digitalartsolutions.com/p...X6-upgrade.php

I think the one issue that I did not see brought up is the driver for our lasers how long was it we waited for x5 and x6 drivers for the 64 bit and still issue at times so what will 7 bring.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

You can buy the upgrade on ebay pretty cheap. I use a old computer with XP, and I find X6 runs fine without anything slowing down. It does take 5-10sec for Corel to start, that's the only difference I saw when changing from X3 to X6.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-10-2014 at 6:23 AM.
    LCJingKe 400mm x 600mm 50W, CorelLaser X6

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Grant View Post
    You can buy the upgrade on ebay pretty cheap.
    "Cheap" and "legally" don't usually go together when it comes to software, particularly on eBay.